cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beagle_luv_r
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

McAfee TotalProtection Internet Security 2009--Real-Time Scanning Problem

I am having a major problem with my McAfee TotalProtection Internet Security 2009 Real-Time Scanner.  I am working from a Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium version computer.  I keep getting this message "Real-Time Scanning is Off", then I have the option to 'Turn on' or 'Dismiss'.  I click 'Turn on', and Real-Time Scanning will stay on for about five seconds, then it will turn off again.  Even McAfee Virtual Technician won't work!

What can I do to fix this problem?

15 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 16

Re: McAfee TotalProtection Internet Security 2009--Real-Time Scanning Problem

Hi,

Could you please provide us some more  information on the computer like :

What is the comptuer’s operating system ?
Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?
For how long you have this problem ?
Please run mcafee virtual technician from http:/mvt.mcafee.com and post me with your session id.

Kindly  reply back with the above information o that we could proceed further .

Regards,
Dinesh K

biggeorge
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

I have the same problem,  my session id is 24769235

it says some of the problems could not be fixed.

beagle_luv_r
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

The computer's operating system is Windows Vista.  I do not have any other security software installed on this computer.  This problem has been occuring since early this morning.

When I tried to run mcafee virtual technician from the link you gave me, I recieved the following message. "McAfee Virtual Technician Application has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  However, when I allow Windows to close the program, there is no solution.  What else can I do?

chrissi7032
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

I got the same problem since tonight. It seemed that my McAfee Internet Security 2009 made an update and after that (McAfee-icon has changed, too), I wasn´t able to activate the real time scanner any more.

How may I fix this problem? Seems to be triggered by this update.

My operating system is Windows Vista. I don´t have installed any other security software. I have this problem since the late evening of 17th March.

my last session ID is : 24769236.

Hope to get some help soon.

Please reply.

Thanks a lot.

abistacchi
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

I have found the very same issue since Total Protection Upgraded.The Virtual tecnician shows quite a few errors and the tries to update and then reboot my system.But after each rebbot the results are the same and have not changed.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

Hi All,

The real time scanner may get disable due to various reasons like conflict with any other security software or malware infections or inappropriate start up of mcafee services.

Please follow the below steps to turn Real time scanner.

1. Check and delete if you have any other security software in Contol panel or in C:/program files and common files.
2. Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-click services.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.

3. Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and click Start.
4. When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
5. Open McAfee SecurityCenter and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
6. Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled.

Kindly get back if you have any issues on the same.

Regards,
Dinesh K

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 16

Hi All,

The real time scanner may get disable due to various reasons like conflict with any other security software or malware infections or inappropriate start up of mcafee services.

Please follow the below steps to turn Real time scanner.

1.Check and delete if you have any other security software in Contol panel or in C:/program files and common files.
2.Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-click services.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.

3. Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and click Start.
4. When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
5. Open McAfee SecurityCenter and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
6. Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled.

Kindly get back if you have any issues on the same.

Regards,
Dinesh K

ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 16

Test Reply

biggeorge
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

doesnt work for me im afraid, when i try to start it in the services panel i get the message.

windows could not start the mcafee real-time scanner service on local computer

eroor2: the system cannot find the file specified.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community