cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whiz0rd
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

McAfee Total Protection icon randomly dissapearing

Hello, I am using Windows XP SP3 with all recent updates and from time to time my Total Protection icon randomly dissapears from the taskbar. There is no action(at least invoked by me) connected to this event, and it is the only icon that hides itself out of many. Not sure about program/service itself, in my task manager everything looks fine, but it's not realiable indicator, and I don't know about every McAfee program/service that comes with Total Protection suite. It's not really that common, it happens randomly, like every second day or so, with exceptions when once it happend few times in a row.

Should I be worried?

8 Replies
karthiks
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee Total Protection icon randomly dissapearing

Kindly perform a clean uninstall & reinstall by following the below steps in a sequence and then check the issue

Run MCPR Tool from the below link

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Restart the computer

Run Preinstall Tool from the below link (helps to delete temp files, cookies etc.,)

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

Reinstall  the McAfee

whiz0rd
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Okay, I did that and for now it's okay. I will report any oddities if they will occur.

ALso, by mistake I have manually revoked license for that computer just after uninstalling. I was informed that in 7 days it will be removed, but after resintalling I clicked reactivate and now website panel shows that everything is fine, but McAfee main window claims that I have only 5 days left. Should I reinstall again?

whiz0rd
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

SO it happend again. I went away from computer for like 30 min, came back and McAfee icon dissapeared again. The only running application were Riva Tuner Hardware Monitor and Google Chrome. I took a screenshot of active processess in Task Manager:

mc.JPG

karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Please update me the versions of McAfee

Open McAfee – Go to About – Get me the versions

Also update me whether your subscription with McAfee is still valid

Message was edited by: karthiks on 4/7/13 8:48:19 PM CDT
whiz0rd
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

For a long time, ie. before reinstallation, I had it running on same september 2012 verson. Checking for updates didn't find anything new. But right now those versions are:

Security Center: 12.1 Build: 12.1.323 Affld: 0-1523

Anti-Vir and Anti-Spyware: 16.1 Build 16.1.172 Engine: 1488.0

Firewall: 13.1 Build 13.1.132

Site Advisor 3.6 Build 3.6.0.187 Affld: 0

Anti-Spam: 13.1 Build: 13.1.154 Conten Version 4542 Engine: 3.0.0.429

Parenal Control: 14.1 Build 14.1.132

File Lock 3.1 Build 3.1.124

Quick Clean and Shredder: 12.1 Build 12.1.147

Vulnerability Scanner: 2.1 Build 2.1.220

It is using exaclty same subscription as my other computer that works well, and expiry date is: 2013-10-29

The other computer is using Windows 7 not XP, and seems to be using older versions of MCAfee(there's even different GUI), but works without any problem.

Also, when log into website control panel, subscriptions seem to be fine there, both activated and used(everything green), just program itself complains.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

You are running the updated version, no doubt in that. I want you to check this issue in a different login user. Please follow the instructions given in the below Microsoft link to know how to create a new user

If you do not want to take any risk creating a new user, kindly contact McAfee technical support and ask them to check this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

Name the user name as TEST

Message was edited by: karthiks on 4/7/13 10:07:17 PM CDT
whiz0rd
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

I have contacted with technical support and suscription issue was solved. Also after few tweaks dissapearing icon issue might be resolved as well, but only time will tell. As for now it is all fine.

Message was edited by: whiz0rd on 4/9/13 9:50:57 PM CDT
karthiks
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

It’s a good news.  Observer the McAfee and update the same here if you see any issues.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community