cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reynunez
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Total Protection desktop icon keeps coming back

I have try every solution I found on this discussion plus even delete all shortcut registry keys for Mcafee and the icon keeps coming back.  I am using Windows 7 64 bits.

This is unvelivably anoying and disrespectful to the Mcafee users.  I have been using this product for so many years and this is making think about changing to anothe Virus protection soluition.   I am a developer myself, and I can't believe the developers of this product are forcing the users to keep the icon on the desktop.  After so many years of having this product, haven't you people learn about settings and allowing the user to choose what we want or not?

We had this problem before and we were able to go to the registry and disable it.  Now they are forcing you to keep the icon.  

5 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Total Protection desktop icon keeps coming back

This issue has just happened a few days before Christmas and McAfee has told us they are working to get it resolved asap. 

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 6

It was not intended to do that just a fix for another issue broke it. As tom says they know of it and are working on a solution.

smeverything
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Been a user of McAffe for 3 years. I say BEEN if they don't get this problem fixed,. I pay for PROVEN PRODUCTS that work. As a CUSTOMER I vote with my $s . Get it fixed quick McAffe or my next 3 yr purchase will be with another company. Don't care, think I'm only one customer. Then why do I get a solicitation every 2 days begging for my $s.

Respond to the NEEDS of your CUSTOMERS or you will be putting out Pink Slips for your Empolys as more customers like myslef go elsewhere with our $s to companies that will stand by thier products and answer their customer needs !

Laugh... Microsoft isn't laughing anymore since they have become dominated by their lack of cusotmer attention. Apple appreciates their failure just as your competition will if you think your customers are going to contiunue to deal with your lack of respect and pathetic customer responses.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

According to McAfee management post here:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/221195#221195

"We already fixed both issues (The icon and the Start Menu entry wont delete some people are experiencing also) and the build is currently in QA. There has been so much talk about testing, so we are doing a lot of extra testing per your requests. If the testing goes well, we should have the patch deployed middle of next week."

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

The fix for this issue is rolling out as we speak but may take several days / weeks to be applied to every customer. It was a bug that we've worked hard to fix, not a conspiracy to market to, annoy, or lose our valued customers. This thread is being locked.

For up to date information, see Issue Update: McAfee desktop icon cannot be permanantly deleted.

This is per the Forum Adminstrator.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/12 5:46:55 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community