cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike-andrews
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Software Piracy

Firstly, my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this – it seems to be the most appropriate thread.

I have had the great misfortune of purchasing a pirate copy of a McAfee software from a vendor on eBay. As an IT tech it was plainly obvious upon inspection that the vendor had burnt the software on CD-R and printed on the CD to make it appear genuine. The seller seems to have sold thousands.

I am even more frustrated by the fact that it had occurred during July this year and that the seller is still trading on eBay. I have sent numerous emails to piracy@mcafee.com and used their form to report this pirate, yet no one seems to be bothered – I have also sent an email to their general email, but seem to be passed from pillar to post.

Although the unscrupulous miscreant refunded my payment back to me, I am still outraged by the fact that he is continuing to trade.

The reason that I am posting this on the McAfee forum is to bring to the attention of McAfee that this is occurring and something needs to be done about this. I also hope that this post will prompt someone to actually forward this onto a person who will actually investigate this matter.

Please see for yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1McAfee-Total-Protection-2010-3-User-Site-Adviser-Plus_W0QQitemZ320439200024QQ...

PS. The seller is selling these for £19.99 – not even McAfee, Amazon or Play.com (UKs biggest online resellers) are offering anything remotely close to this price.
5 Replies
mike-andrews
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Software Piracy

After weeks of sending numerous emails to McAfee anti-piracy team reporting this large scale piracy - nothing was done.

I had contact my friend who works for the UK Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), the pirates listings were effectively removed.

However, with a blink of an eye the same vendor re-appears with a new account: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130344790416&Category=3805

McAfee have let their customers down, it is apparent that the inbox piracy@mcafee.com is manned by a single individual - who works part time!

The question is how serious is McAfee about protecting customers from unscrupulous vendors? The softwares offered for sale must contain trojans, viruses and keyloggers etc.

Even members working within McAfee cannot even make a difference. Are McAfee seriously combating piracy

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Somer...comments?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

I am checking the status right now, actually. I had escalated this issue, so I assumed it was being taken care of. I'll see what I can find out and update this thread as quickly as possible.

Thank you!!

mike-andrews
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately as McAfee had failed to act on the information that I (and many others) had provided - I approached the FACT organisation. Their response was that they would do everything they can - but McAfee must use their own resources to combat piracy.

Response from FACT:

Michael,

I have notified eBay with regards to the counterfeit merchandise on sale by ‘support1981’ – eBay have removed this on our request.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to take any civil proceedings with regards to this case as this is a matter for McAfee to consider. FACT does act on information relating to piracy, however our primary purpose is to prevent piracy in the film and broadcasting sector.

I share your frustration and completely understand on the impact of what piracy can do. I would have to advise you to speak to McAfee Inc again so that they may monitor this situation. Although, I am surprised to hear that the vendor went unnoticed for such a long period of time.

Harry

www.fact-uk.org.uk

Message was edited by: mike-andrews on 11/17/09 2:32 PM

Message was edited by: mike-andrews on 11/17/09 2:33 PM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

Hey Mike,

I've just now gotten a confirmation that we're investigating this eBay user, as well as scanning for new and multiple accounts. No other news yet, but will keep you posted.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community