cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larryedwards
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

McAfee Services fail, Windows error 1053

My McAfee services won't run. They immediately fail, giving error 1053 "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times. I used the McAfee cleaner tool to deinstall, and even did a manual search-and-destroy pass on the registry to ferret out any soured reg keys. No effect.

At this point I am ready to ditch McAfee and move to Norton, but before doing that I want to see if anyone has any suggestions...

My computer is running WinXP SP3. All updates are current.

Help...

8 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee Services fail, Windows error 1053

Hi,

Could you please provide some additonal information,

The version of McAfee is it for home use or Enterprise ?

Was this installed through a cd or from  website?

If possible please attach an image of mcafee and the error you receive.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Message was edited by: Dinz on 12/31/09 3:02:28 PM GMT-06:00
larryedwards
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

It's McAfee Security Center, for home use. I can't tell the version because the program won't come up, but I downloaded this version from the McAfee site on 12/30/09, so it should be whatever is current.

What's happening is that the various McAfee services won't start. I don't see any direct error messages, although it does create entries in the system log. The entries are like this (also see attached file ErrMessage1.bmp):

The McAfee Services service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The McAfee Proxy Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The McAfee Real-time Scanner service failed to start due to the following error:

And so on...for the McAfee Services Service, McAfee Proxy Service and  McAfee Real-Time Scanner Service. If I try to manually launch the services I get the same message, all Error 1053. (See attached file ErrMessage2.bmp.)

Clicking any of the McAfee shortcuts on my desktop or in the Start menu has no effect. Nothing happens, not even a visible flicker of an hourglass on the pointer.

The McAfee Services are all configured to use the regular System account in WinXP. I am confident that the System account os working correctly because it is able to successfully downloade and install Windows updates.

Thank you for your help, and Happy New Year!

-Larry

larryedwards
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Any word on this? My computer is currently without virus protection, and that's not a situation I am willing to stay in. If I can't get an answer from mcAfee in the next 24 to 48 hours I am going to ditch your product and load Norton/Symantec instead. Please help!

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, This issue could occur if the system has a corrupt user profile, or any Trojan infections.

Try creating a new user account with administrative privilege and reinstall mcafee and check the status.

Regards,
Dinesh K

larryedwards
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Created a clean new user profile, downloaded and reinstalled McAfee, same results. I independently ran MalWareBytes and it came up clean, so I doubt the Trojan theory.

If you're suggesting a corrupt profile, this tells me you're probably about at the end of your ideas. I appreciate your help, and am open to other suggestions you might have, but at this point it looks like Norton will be my AV protection.

jam39
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I have a similar issue were a working install stopped working and now produces a 1053 error.  It is a relatively new system (mid October) and came with McAfee installed.  It is a pretty simple computer with nothing but patches installed since it was bought.

I am going to go the Windows Defender route for this home system should McAfee have no solution.  Thanks for documenting your issue.

larryedwards
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

I finally gave up. I installed Norton on the computer that's having this problem, and transferred my McAfee license to my wife's laptop. No worries, we can drop this conversation.

pjsquire
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I have this same problem on 3 PC's on our network. None appear to be protected and I am very concerned this leaves our network vulnerable. I have checked the registry entries after googling the issue and seeing other's experiences and they appear to be OK. I have run Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and Microsoft's own Malicious Software Removal Tool to try to clean anything from the pc's. I have unloaded and reinstalled TPS several times to no avail.

I have reported the problem to Mcafee who showed little interest.

I am fast going off Mcafee which is disappointing as we have over 70 machines with them.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community