cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okkkayboy07
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

McAfee Security Center gets stuck at "Gathering Download information...."

I am really getting upset with my McAfee Security center. I have been using McAfee forever with a few problems here and there but I was always able to fix them but now I have been trying to reinstall it but It keeps getting stuck at the "Gathering download information...." screen. The McAfee assistance have given me all kinds of possible fixes but nothing has changed. I even restored my computer back to the way it was when I bought it. I don't won't to go but a new anti virus because this one is free with my internet provider. What could be the problem? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
6 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

RE: McAfee Security Center gets stuck at "Gathering Download information...."

hi... may i know the operating system that we are working on?

please check also if you have the following in your add or remove program/programs and features:

msxml, java, microsoft .net framework

also, please check any updates from microsoft... download and install both critical and optional updates... then try reinstalling mcafee by first saving the DMSetup on your desktop and then running it as administrator...

hope this helps...
jackie113
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Hi. I am also having the problem of the installation getting stuck on the gathering download information window. I am on a brand-new laptop bought today with vista sp1. Nothing whatsover has been added to this computer in the way of virus or security software. It came with a 30 day trial of Norton but I refused it at startup. I have installed all windows updates available at this point.

I have all 3 of those programs you mentioned in the remove programs list. What did you mean should be done about them?
jackie113
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Hello? Is anybody out there? Still haven't figured this out.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Comcast doesn't have Security Center 9 yet.

I see you are posting elsewhere so please stick with 1 thread.
jackie113
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

What does it mean "Comcast doesn't have Security Center 9 yet"? I have the Comcast security stuff on two other computers and one is running Vista. So why can't this new laptop run it? Does it have a different version of Vista than the other one?

And about the 2 threads thing, yeah well it seems that some threads got more action than others so I was hedging my bets since there were several threads dedicated to this exact problem. Maybe you could merge them? Just saying.

Anyway, can I or can I not use the Comcast free McAfee stuff on the new laptop? Please use small words and complete sentences.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Comcast are infamous for being the slowest at releasing the latest McAfee products to their customers - usually they take about a year, so their customers are always lagging behind.
There's nothing we can do about that.

Far better to start your own new thread when you first post. Mutliple posting only dilutes the help you get as we are stretched pretty thin. Posting on someone else's thread usually also isn't liked by the original poster.

There's nothing stopping you installing McAfee on any platform, as long as it isn't XP x64 as that isn't supported.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community