Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 41 of 64

RE: Error message when downloading update

You can use that setting of course. I have mine set to notify me before downloading and installing.
WheatThins
Former Member
Message 42 of 64

RE: Error message when downloading update

You can use it i was just wondering that if you turn off Windows Defender and Set the settings back to automatically download/install if it would do the same thing as what it was
but make sure windows Defender is turned off
RobbieW64
Former Member
Message 43 of 64

Good Bye Mcafee

I have had enough. And your time is up. No one there seems to be able to fix the problem. And as I can't seem to get any help with it. It is time for 1 last uninstall, and for it to never return.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 44 of 64

RE: Good Bye Mcafee

It's a shame when that happens but it's your choice of course. Looking back on the thread I wonder if you are using any registry cleaners? The reason I ask is that I used to, ages ago, have similar issues and after a while it dawned on me that Registry Mechanic was wiping out essential parts of various applications. Once I stopped using it the problems went away.

Other than that and/or another talk with Chat I can't suggest anything, sorry.
skipl
Contributor
Message 45 of 64

Fix button

I had the same problem. After four chats they passed me to Tier 2. He remotely took over my PC, and after two hours the problem was fixed. Now, two weeks later it’s back! I’m going to try one more chat. If they don’t fix it permanently McAfee will be uninstalled and I will take the $ loss. I spent maybe 20 hour with support, and am tired of fooling with them. skipl
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 46 of 64

RE: Fix button

Tell them they owe it to you for free. Believe me, we are as fed up as you guys.
AllBack
Former Member
Message 47 of 64

Just some more info on this

I was gone for 3 weeks, with my laptop shut down (Yes, I really didn't bring it this time). Came back last Saturday, started the system up, downloaded the latest McAfee updates (now at Security Center build 93.151, VirusScan build 13.3.127, DAT 5593.0000), and since then have had problems with McAfee randomly indicating that the system wasn't protected, then asking if I wanted to fix it. And I usually say yes. And sometimes it fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Right now it isn't in a friendly mood.

This system is a 2GB 1.7MHz Sony VAIO A230 (WinXP SP3). No new software was installed during this period, and no registry cleaners were run, nothing changed, so probably one or more of the McAfee updates since late March has caused McAfee to go off the deep end.

Normally I would do the uninstall/reinstall dance if I had problems, but it in reading the postings it looks like this does not really solve the problem.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 48 of 64

RE: Just some more info on this

In Sec. Center 9.3 "Fix" usually works, but some updates recently have required a reboot which pop-up warning many have missed and therefore is appears that there is a malfunction.

Try rebooting.
AllBack
Former Member
Message 49 of 64

Oh, I've rebooted a number of times.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 50 of 64

Then try Technical Support Chat, link at top left of this page or in my signature.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community