Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geordie_giant
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

McAfee Internet Security problem: Real-Time scanning will not turn on

Jump to solution

This week I got a brand new computer, and upon setting it up I installed McAfee as I had an active sub with some licences left on it, so wanted to make use of it.

However, I am having an issue with Real-Time scanning.  I keep getting pop ups telling me that my computer is at risk.  When I click for more informatoin and open up the security centre, everything is green apart from "Virus and Spyware protection", which is displaying a thinking/working icon next to the text "Real-Time scanning: starting".  When I open this section, it tells me that RTS is off, but when I open that sub-sectoin to try and turn it on, I get the text "please wait whilst we start Real-Time scanning" and the optoins beneath are all greyed out.

I cannot use the Virtual Tech, as it is not compatible with my operating system (Windows 8), my computer is brand new and I installed McAfee as a first port of call before doing anything else so I doubt that a pre-existing virus/malware is the issue.

Please do help, I'd rather not leave my computer open to potential infectoins for any longer than I absolutely have to!

Many thanks in advance

P.S.  Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section of the forums!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 16

Re: McAfee Internet Security problem: Real-Time scanning will not turn on

Jump to solution

Run the Virtual Technician then to see if it will fix anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

The other things to check are a) system clock; is it correct and the right timezone?   b)  any other security software installed? c) make sure that Windows Firewall Service is started in Services.msc:

How to Start/Stop and Disable Services in Windows 8 

By the way is this the retail software or beta (both work in Windows 8)?

The last thing to do would be to uninstall everything, run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot, then reinstall from your online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/12/12 4:21:47 EST PM

View solution in original post

15 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

I've seen this happen and a reboot should fix it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/12/12 3:29:22 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Moved to SecurityCenter for better attention.

geordie_giant
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

A reboot of the computer?  It has been restarted a handful of times, and the problem sadly persists.

Thank you for moving it to the correct forum

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

Run the Virtual Technician then to see if it will fix anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

The other things to check are a) system clock; is it correct and the right timezone?   b)  any other security software installed? c) make sure that Windows Firewall Service is started in Services.msc:

How to Start/Stop and Disable Services in Windows 8 

By the way is this the retail software or beta (both work in Windows 8)?

The last thing to do would be to uninstall everything, run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot, then reinstall from your online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/12/12 4:21:47 EST PM
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the software? If not please try to do so and be sure to run the MCPR tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links. If problems persist you might want to try Technical Support also under Useful Links. They are available 24/7 via telephone or chat.

geordie_giant
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

I tried running the Virtual Technician, it fixed one issue but another (missing/corrupted COM component?) it said it could not, something along the lines of the language not being supported (which is bizarre!)

The system clock is correct and in the right timezone (UCT  Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London), I have nothing other than McAfee installed when it comes to the software, and according to the services tab in task manager Windows Firewall is running and started.

It is the retail software as far as I am aware.  It is a sub which was renewed in July and which I used on a previous Windows 7 laptop without any issue.  This software was downloaded on Thursday.

Regarding uninstalling and reinstalling, does it affect licenses I have left (i.e. I have 2 used up and one left, will it use the remaining one, or just reuse the one originally used to "protect" this computer"?

Cheers!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

As long as you uninstall in the normal way first before running MCPR then the account will be decremented by 1 license.

By the way, if you are a Geordie, I was born in Sunderland....many moons ago.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/12/12 5:17:23 EST PM
geordie_giant
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

Ah excellent, then I will give it a go now then, and report back!  Thanks for the help!

Really?  Excellent!  You took off to the Great White North then it seems?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

Yes, my job brought me here and I stayed.   Actually we're south of the UK here, although sometimes the climate says otherwise.

Good luck with the software issues, hope it works.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community