cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altlandf
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Internet Security 2012 install problems.

I purchased a new Internet Security 2012 for my W7 machine.   This was factory sealed.  I ran the software and it took forever to put the software on my computer.  For some reason it needed to download stuff from the internet.  This is no problem because I have cable modem service.  After about 20 minutes I get a message stating it can't load a file.  I canceled it then I was told the install failed.   After all of that the isstall failed. Isn't there a way to force the software to install?  It took me hours to get my computer back to where it was before I tried to install this worthless software. When I turned the computer on the next day I was told there was a problem with my harddrive.  Just one day I wish the police would arrest the programers that have no clue in what they are doing.  McAfee rips you off with a product that doesn't work.  Then they talk about a satisifcation promise and make you wait 2 days.  How is that satisification? 

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2012 install problems.

It could have balked at software already installed.  Do you have any other security software installed?  If you had another brand of software make sure to run their removal tool.   If you have certain types of extra anti-malware tools installed sometimes the installer will object to them, Malwarebytes for example.  Uninstall it.  It's OK to reinstall it afterwards as long as it's the free version.

Also I assume that this is Windows 7 SP1 and the machine meets the minimum requirements for the software?

Uninstall any McAfee software listed in Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Reboot.

Run the McPreinstall tool.

Try your download/installation again form the online account.

Technical Support is free if you need them and you can reach them by phone or online chat, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Let us at least try to help you before slamming everyone.  😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/08/12 7:24:38 EDT AM
axman
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2012 install problems.

altlandf wrote:

I purchased a new Internet Security 2012 for my W7 machine.   This was factory sealed.  I ran the software and it took forever to put the software on my computer. For some reason it needed to download stuff from the internet.  This is no problem because I have cable modem service.  After about 20 minutes I get a message stating it can't load a file.  I canceled it then I was told the install failed.   After all of that the isstall failed. Isn't there a way to force the software to install?  It took me hours to get my computer back to where it was before I tried to install this worthless software. When I turned the computer on the next day I was told there was a problem with my harddrive.  Just one day I wish the police would arrest the programers that have no clue in what they are doing.  McAfee rips you off with a product that doesn't work.  Then they talk about a satisifcation promise and make you wait 2 days.  How is that satisification? 

Altlandf :

The Software looks to download the Most current Version of Mcafee when you try to Load from a Disc.

Now as to the Hard Drive, I want to ask you a question Are your Hard Drives in a RAID Array?

A RAID Array is a setup on a computer whereby you have 2 or more drives setup to run as 1.

The Reason I ask this is there was a Microsoft Update Recently that scrambled some Hard Drives that were setup in a RAID Array. It was an Isolated problem not many folks were affected and those that were had Older Hard Drives. At Issue there was a Line of Code in a Security update for the WIN Security and the Read/Write Process.

The Best Solution if that is your setup is (I apologize) Is to Replace your Hard Drive(s).

Now, If You Don't have a RAID Array - There were a Couple of Nasty RootKits, a Trojan and a Virus that Affected the Networking Processes in WIN Recently, That Prompted a Security Update By Microsoft (To close a Hole) and they also prompted several Updates to McAfee.

Now, any of those caused some folks a good deal of Headache. These Folks weren't able to get these completely Cleaned out and they kept recurring.

What we found is that a Full Degauss of the Hard Drive(s) using BOOT n NUKE got rid of the Problem allowing for a Full Reinstall of Windows, followed IMMEDIATELY by a Clean Install Of McAfee.

Now if You have an SSD (Solid State Hard Drive) The First thing to check is if there is a Firmware update for it (them) that can be found on the Manufacturers Website.

Fact is that some of the literally Millions of Trojans, Viruses, Rootkits, Etc. really really don't like AV software and do what they can to prevent AV software from Working or even installing. And when this happens they tend to Screw up a Windows Install by corrupting various lines of Code, which in most cases Prompt a "There Is an Issue with one of your Hard Drives click here to run a disc check" message..

And Sometimes they attach themselves to other programs you have and Hide in places you would never think to look. And Some are sophisticated enough to go Stealth, change just enough when you go trying to eradicate them that they don't look to be anything more than a Standard thing you need to run whatever..

All of the AV makers have issue like this now and again. The Folks you should be mad at are the Clowns that write the Malicious Code as they are the one that cause the issues. AV makers sometimes end up playing chase and that ends up being a headache for the General Population..

Nobody can be perfect all of the time not even AV makers..

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community