cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hence
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

McAFee and Inetenet Explore 8 Beta 3

This is more of an Internet Explore question but i thought more help is better then none.

So I'm working on a Dell desktop (os XP Service Pack 2) They requested me to put McAFee 2009 and installed okay. The pop up advice will not show up so I trouble shot it and it came back as saying you must check if you have Internet Explorer 8 beta 3 and I do. So now I trying to uninstall it and I get this message:

Setup cannot copy the file hmmapi.dll.mui.
Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert 'Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory' in the drive you specify. <Retry> <Cancel> <Browse>
Copy File From: C:\WINDOWS\ie8

Weather I have the firewalls, 3ed-party protection, ect On or Off I still get the message.

So how do I Remove IE8 B3 and get around this message?

Thank you for you time...
-Hence
Labels (1)
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

RE: McAFee and Inetenet Explore 8 Beta 3

Did you by any chance install SP2 after installing IE8 beta?

There is no beta 3 version of IE8. Beta 2 causes blank McAfee windows and other problems, but the next version which is RC1 doesn't apparently, although it isn't advisable to use beta IE versions anyway as McAfee relies upon IE.

In XP IE8 should be listed as a separate item in Control Panel/Uninstall a Program.

If it isn't for any reason then try the following, I quote from Microsoft's website.

Alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003, follow these steps:

1. Carefully select and then copy the following command: %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
  2. Click Start, click Run, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
  3. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
  4. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer. Then follow the next steps to verify that your previous version of Internet Explorer is restored or to contact support if you experience any problems.

Next steps

• After you restart your computer, open Internet Explorer. Then click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu. If Internet Explorer 6 or 7 appears in the About Internet Explorer dialog box, then you are finished.
  • If Internet Explorer 8 is not removed, or you cannot open Internet Explorer 6 or 7, you might want to contact Microsoft Support.

Eventually you should be installing Service Pack 3 (SP3) but warning, uninstall any beta browsers first.
There is help for SP3 on the web and here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807

By the way, the most frequent cause of uninstallers not working is the use of registry cleaners. If you have any, stop using them as they cause more problems than they solve.

Other than the above, the only other way would be to use System Restore to return to a point before you installed IE8 beta. This may mess up your McAfee installation so after doing it you will have to right-click the taskbar icon and select "Updates" which hopefully will stop any errors.

Failing that I recommend Microsoft Support, or you may be faced with completely formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows and hundreds of updates. If it comes to that please note that SP3 contains all updates for XP right up to approximately April of last year, including SP2 of course.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community