Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dxbrown77
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

May 9th 2012 upgrade to Security Center kills IIS

Jump to solution

Hi,

After the 5/9/2012 upgrade was pushed down to my machine and I restarted, I could no longer run

the Developer version of MS IIS (the Microsoft web server) that I have installed on my workstation.

The symptoms I experienced were 1. An inability to display any page requested from localhost.

2. An inability to display the IIS admin interface after clicking on the icon I have for it on my desktop.

3. IIS Admin didn't even appear in the list of Windows services.

And no, no there were no other changes to system files that could have caused this.  I've

got Windows Update on a short leash too and I generally avoid installing new software

like the plague.

I immediately dropped back to the drive image I had backed up from the day before.  I'm afraid to

upgrade McAfee now as I need IIS for my work.

I am running Windows XP Professional edition service pack 3,   Build 11.0.064 of Security Center. My question is

can anyone from McAfee assure me the same thing won't happen again if I upgrade?  I am

losing a lot of time backing up changed files and folder, restoring an entire clean image and

then restoring the changed files/folder manually.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dxbrown77
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Re: May 9th 2012 upgrade to Security Center kills IIS

Jump to solution

When I finally got a few cycles this am I

1. Ran Windows update, restarted

2. Ran Security Center update, am now running 11.0.669

This time, I experienced no issues starting the  IIS admin

console, or pulling pages from localhost.

It appears as though the McAfee upgrade was dependent

upon windows system upgrades being in place.

If this is the case, then my question is, why doesn't the McAfee

installation program test for the dependencies it needs before

applying upgrades?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Build 11.0.064 sounds wrong somehow.  Mine is 11.0.669, however it all depends on where you are and where the software comes from I guess.

Updates sometimes can alter permissions so make sure IIS is still allowed full access in SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs

(Hint: to arrange them alphabetically click the word Program at the top of the list).

Find the item for IIS and click the Edit button to change it and whilst there you might experiment with switching off Netguard for that one to see if it improves matters.

You may also find something relevant in Ports and System Services but as I am not familiar with IIS I don't really know about that.

You might also want to open a ticket with Technical Support considering actual McAfee staff patrolling here is intermittent at best.

It's free via phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/05/12 11:24:11 EDT AM
dxbrown77
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Ex_Britt,

Thanks for replying.

<Build 11.0.064 sounds wrong somehow.>

I dropped back to an earlier build when I restored a stable drive image via Acronis.  This was the most expedient way to get back to work

<Updates sometimes can alter permissions so make sure IIS is still allowed full access in SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs>

I did block access for IIS to the Internet after navigating to the screen you supplied directions for.  However, after taking this step, I failed to reproduce the issues I mentioned in my first post.

I guess I'm reluctant to upgrade again and face the same issue.  After all its going to take a fair amount of my time to recover from this, let alone the time it's going to take to deal with McAfee support. And I haven't even considered whether I'm going to be charged for this support.  It may be easier just to uninstall McAfee and switch to another anti-virus product at this point.

I feel that I've given enough information for McAfee to attempt to reproduce this problem.  And if they don't have McAfee staff monitoring this forum, they should.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

The forums are mainly peer-to-peer support and rarely will an actual McAfee person patrol here.  We are here to steer people in the appropriate direction.  Support is free of charge, the only time they charge is for one-on-one virus removal, like any other antivirus provider.

What I meant was that it must have been blocked in the newer versaion and you needed to unblock it.  But there could be other reasons of which we mods aren't aware.   That's where support comes in.

dxbrown77
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

When I finally got a few cycles this am I

1. Ran Windows update, restarted

2. Ran Security Center update, am now running 11.0.669

This time, I experienced no issues starting the  IIS admin

console, or pulling pages from localhost.

It appears as though the McAfee upgrade was dependent

upon windows system upgrades being in place.

If this is the case, then my question is, why doesn't the McAfee

installation program test for the dependencies it needs before

applying upgrades?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

I think the people who make these updates assume, perhaps rather optimistically, that people have kept their systems up to date, especially on the second Tuesday of every month: Microsoft Update Tuesday.

I agree it would be nice if everything that ever updated actually stated what it needed if missing.    I think the only time I've seen that was when installing some backup software a while back when it said I needed .net 2 (or 3?) first.

They also assume that people keep every aspect of their machine up to date, including parts they may not use by default, Internet Explorer comes to mind as a particularly important one.

Nowadays that is so important with all the malware and DNS attacks out there.

dxbrown77
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Here's a helpful link for GetVersionEx function for the McAfee team:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

When they assume an up to date system they make an ass out of u and me.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

I'm sure they're aware of it but how they work is a mystery to the likes of us.

Good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community