Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kidd
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Magic Timer

Jump to solution

When is the "Magic Timer" going to be scrapped? Silliest idea yet! When I set my scan schedule for 5am I expect it to run at 5am! I think my computer is capable of doing more than 1 task at a time!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Re: Magic Timer

Jump to solution

You mean Smart Timer we mods added the option of disabling it into our wish list fr a patch or next version. There have been several issues with it not allowing updates and scheduled scans to occurs. Of course you can manually update but that is not what the program is designed for is it.

Is it not starting or stopping while you do something? If latter try minimal resources setting

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

You mean Smart Timer we mods added the option of disabling it into our wish list fr a patch or next version. There have been several issues with it not allowing updates and scheduled scans to occurs. Of course you can manually update but that is not what the program is designed for is it.

Is it not starting or stopping while you do something? If latter try minimal resources setting

Kidd
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Tony, Yes it sometimes happens when I'm doing something, I don't use the minimal resources setting as I like to get it over and done with! I'll wait for the fix. Thanks.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

It will be a while as our feel is Mcafee likes it. It needs more emailing complaining about it.

Mine only stops if rodent movement others with weather programs running stops it do a smart timer search there are a few posts most peop[le do not realise it is happening.

Will keep it in front of the techs that is all we can do.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Some improvement on this issue in new 4.5 version I am beta testing .will not go deeper into what they did as still beta but might do part way towards fixing what you want.

Kidd
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Tony, I'll light a candle for them in church if they give us an option!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

The new version will delay updates if the machine is busy but only for a limited time and then it will go ahead with them anyway.   Not too sure how scheduled scans are affected though.   I'm trying to find the blurb I received on it.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

No option but they tweaked the updating rules from what I see you will get an update even if you are working after a delay time.

Ok Peter explained it I see

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/04/10 8:11:38 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community