cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grumpy9117
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

MCPR failed - Family Protection Error but FP Not Installed

I have a computer that has McAfee Internet Security that has lost access to the internet even in Safe Mode. I'm trying to remove all traces of McAfee using the MCPR tool but I'm also being asked for a Username & Password for Family Protection even though it's not installed on the computer. How do I get FP removed?

Note I have now experienced this error in two separate Vista installations that never had FP installed, ever.   So if anyone experiences this with MCPR please start a new case with Technical Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/09/12 5:53:04 EDT PM
21 Replies
tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 22

Re: Uninstalled Mcafee-cannot connect to internet, computer very very slow

Family Protection must have been installed at some point.  And this is likely why you cannot access the internet.  If you don't have the FP Administor Name and Password, you'll need to contact McAfee Customer Service via Chat or Phone to get it.  This should restore your net connection.  http://service.mcafee.com > Customer Service

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 22

Tracy,  I've experienced the same thing for the last two days and I promise you, I never have installed Family Protection anywhere here.    There seems to be an issue with the latest MCPR seeing FP where it doesn't exist.

I suggest the user contacts Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/09/12 2:35:55 EDT PM
tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 22

Thanks Peter - sounds like its time to escalate.  I will contact our T3 Support team to see what they know. 

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
grumpy9117
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Ex_Brit, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I found an older copy of MCPR and it worked like a charm. I know have Internet access again and NO McAfee! Someone should report the problem with MCPR.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 22

You're welcome.  Tracy is reporting it and a message to Tracy, Doug K and Mark R both are aware of it as I've been frantically emailing people back and forth.   This isn't the first report on these forums either but I can't find the other thread at this moment in time.

It would come to light just as we are going into a weekend of course......... ;-/

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 22

I've jsut tested the latest production MCPR (from download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe) on a NEW machine (installed yesterday).

Specifically, on this Win 7 64 Ultimate, that has never had any McAfee products, I did this:

1) download and run MCPR - to see if it was detecting somethign that couldn't possibly be there - it ran, completed successfully and asked for a reboot.  This is as designed.

2) I downloaded and installed Total Protection from my MAA subscription.  Reboot

3) Ran removal via "Programs and Features" (a.k.a. Add/Remove Programs in XP).  No reboot.

4) Ran MCPR again.  Again it ran, reported successful removal, and requested a reboot.  NO detection of MFP at all (as designed).

5) Rebooted.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 22

It appears that MCPR has been updated since I tried it earlier for you at least but I just downloaded a fresh copy and it still asks for FP user name and password. and that is in on my main OS too.    Is it possible you have access to a different version?

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 22

Did you download it from the same place?  i.e. download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Check the file's Properties - on the Details tab, the "File version" is listed on mine as 6.0.151.0 - should be the same if you downloaded from the same place.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 22

Re: MCPR failed - Family Protection Error but FP Not Installed

Yes - 6.0.151.0 - then why does it behave differently here than there?  Both Vista Ultimate SP2 x64, both Total Protection with only VS, PF, SA and AS plus the utilities QC and SHR installed.

If one has never had Family Protection installed it should know that, obviously in certain systems it's picking up something that it thinks is FP when it's not.

If this has happened in two of my systems + others here, I can imagine it happening widely in the field so needs to be looked at.  

Fortunately I just discovered that I had a backup copy of MCPR 5.0.285.0 which if push comes to shove I would use instead. however I realise one should always use the latest one to have the best removal process.

If anyone is having this problem, please contact Technical Support for help, it's free and available by phone or online chat through the link under "Useful Links" at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/09/12 9:01:15 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community