Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 1 of 11

MCAFEE TOTAL PROTECTION NOT LOADING

Greetings!

I'm losing my patience!

August 2012, McAfee Total Protection disabled itself following an automatic update. Since then I have been completely unable to reinstall it! I deactivated the protection on my computer. I tried reinstalling from my account: result = failure. I tried reinstalling from the downloads section: result = failure. I have run the remnant removal tool several times since August 2012: result = sucessful. But, still my security products won't install!

I reported this issue (September 2012) and after three months ... McAfee force closed the issue -- WITHOUT SOLVING THE PROBLEM!

I renewed my [four license] subscription, December 2012.

January 2013, my computer is the only one on which McAfee is not running! I STILL CAN'T LOAD MY PRODUCTS!

February 2013, I tried loading from the back-up CD I received with my subscription renewal: Result = FAIL! {And, it needed a damn Internet connection! What's the point of that shiz?!}

McAfee insisted they could remedy the problem; so, I didn't format my drive [something I've had to do following every subscription renewal since 2007!] BUT I STILL HAVE NO RUNNING MCAFEE PRODUCT! I don't have any protection at all!

Incidentally, the three other computers on my network are not having any issues at all! And, each one of their McAfee settings and products is the same as mine! The only thing that's different on my computer are the Windows and Internet settings, I don't use defaults!

WHY DOES YOUR SOFTWARE NOT RECOGNIZE UNEXPECTED CONDITIONS AND THEN ASK FOR USER INPUT? WHY DO YOU INSIST ON INSTALLING NEW PRODUCT EVERY YEAR RATHER THAN SIMPLY CHARGING A MINOR RENEWAL FEE?! YOU'RE FOULING EVERYTHING!

HOW DO I GET MY MCAFEE TOTAL PROTECTION INSTALLED AND RUNNING WITHOUT FORMATING MY DRIVE, EVERY YEAR!?!

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: MCAFEE TOTAL PROTECTION NOT LOADING

Your renewal fee can be refunded easily by contacting Customer Service within 60 days of it happening and that's a free phone call or online chat.   Software is always changed from year to year, even from month to month so will always be 'renewing' itself.

Defaults MUST be used in IE to get McAfee to install and function correctly.  The software has built-in browser protection so no need to alter those settings in IE.   This is regardless of your default browser setting.

For help with the issue of not being able to install we here would need more information such as:

1.  What is your operating system and service pack (if applicable)  and is it x86 or x64, and what version of Internet Explorer is installed (whether or not you use it)?

2.  Have you had any unusual behaviour indicating malware could be present?

3.  What other security software is installed?

4.  How do you connect to the Internet, wired or wirless and is it always on?

5.  What model/make of machine is this and what speed CPU and capacity of Memory are installed?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

By the way Technical Support is now available free of charge by telephone or online chat.   6am - 6pm Pacific by phone and 24/7 by chat.  See the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They are probably your best bet as you seem to be having so much difficulty.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 4 of 11

Evidently, Ex_Brit, you missed the part where I indicated McAfee Support Forced Closed the issue without solving in last year!

Three months they had me running in circles. Three months!

I provided them with all the logs from McAfee, Windows, Internet Explorer and AOL.

Three months without an answer. Then, a simple e-mail declaring the issue was closed.

I KNOW DAMN WELL THOSE LOGS CONTAIN INFORMATION REGARDING THE LOADING PROBLEM. SPECIFIC INFORMATION WHICH COULD BE USED TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE. AND, I KNOW NO ONE AT MCAFEE READ THEM.

The only response I ever get from them is run the virtual technician; run the remnant removal tool; give me access to your computer and I will resolve the problem. I REFUSE TO ALLOW REMOTE ACCESS.

I am certain the problem is relative to the Legacy folders not being removed in Windows 7.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Not allowing them remote access is probably the reason they closed the case and why in your mind it was never solved.   You have to help them to help you.   I promise they don't pry into your personal stuff.   I've had remote access done here on several occasions and it's all very above board I assure you.

If there are legacy folders to blame then the only answer is to uninstall via Control Panel, run the MCPR Cleanup Tool, reboot, then run the rather longer registry cleanup method (see below) before reinstalling from your online account.

If you need to completely remove all reference to McAfee then here's the registry method:

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

if for some reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were originally installed and the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links at top of this page) didn't work for some reason.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and  right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself ownership and then permission.

For really old legacy entries you will then have to repeat the process using 'NAI' minus the '' of course.

It takes a long time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/02/13 7:34:01 EST AM
Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 6 of 11

Even after clearing the registry it would not load.

It's taken all this time and [AGAIN] a drive formatting to get McAfee to load again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Something isn't right with that.   Technical Support would be best here.   Also it might be a good idea to post on a Windows forum to check if there is something generally wrong with your setup.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/06/13 9:39:33 EDT AM
gopin
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

When McAfee comes into play it is not like other security applications. It completely depends upon the operating system. When all the security applications are installed easily on the computer why McAfee gives you this much trouble have you ever thought about it. McAfee installation depends on windows and it uses windows installer to have your application installation. Just dont mind re-formatting your OS once. And after this reformat make sure that you update your OS and then install McAfee. After that have your OS and as well as your McAfee upto date so that your computer will be free from infections..

And as metioned in the above statement McAfee makes big changes to its own software because the update which is done to it is considering the infections. Infections which were before 10years are different and the infections which are now are different. So try it one more time and make you computer secure..

Regards,

Gopin

Safe Never Sleeps

mafinley
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

Michael Finley wrote:

Blank post

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community