cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
23synapses
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Latest SecurityCenter will not work

3 days ago I received the latest SecurityCenter update.

I have had several issues since this update:

Once my machine rebooted my desktop would not display.  I ended up restarting my PC in its last known good configuration.

This allowed me to get my machine back.

Then I looked at Mcafee.  It was saying I now had two computers on the same license and that I needed to purchase a new license.

I went into my account an deactivated all the machines listed as active on that license, since they both had the same machine name and IP address.

When I try to reactivate the software it takes me to a site that says I have to pay for a new license to reactivate the software.

When I rebooted my machine it would come back with no desktop - so starting from last known good configuration was my only way to get the machine to work.

Since it was clearly a Mcafee issue causing this, it was the only update implemented since the issue started.  I decided to uninstall and reinstall the software.

I used the add remove programs to uninstall.  Then went through my account to get the latest download.

This resolved the issue with my desktop.  However I still cannot get the software to reactivate.

at this point I went to support.

I used the Virtual technician.  It found numerous unrecoverable errors.   It recommended I uninstall Mcafee and then use the MCPR.exe to perform a more complete uninstall.  Then reinstall the software.

After doing all this I still had the same issue.  When I ran the Virtual Technician it reported that I still had a many errors, including an out of date DAT file.

So I went to an online chat session.

The online chat associate looked over my machine noticed the out of date DAT file and tried to check for updates.  When the screen for updates comes up it sticks at 0%.

She then recommended I run the MCPR.exe to fully uninstall the product and then we rinstalled the software.  I informed her I had already done this but was willing to do it again, since this time we were not doing a Program Files -> Uninstall then MCPR.exe -> Reinstall we were just doing an uninstall via MCPR.exe -> Reinstall.

After the reinstall was performed nothing had changed but the case had been closed.

So I started a second online case.  I requested that the associate review the previous case before we got to far so we would not just repeat steps already performed.  He ignored this suggestion.  We went through everything the previous chat session took me through and he came to the conclusion that I needed to uninstall Mcafee and then reinstall it.  I informed him that those steps had already been performed twice and they had not resolved the issue.  He reiterated that I needed to uninstall Mcafee and reinstall the software.  I requested he escalate the case up.  He would not respond to the request so I terminated the session.

So what can I do next.  It is pretty clear there is some form of conflict on my PC with this latest patch and a fresh install is not the answer.

OS - Windows 7

SecurityCenter build - 10.5.195

DAT version 6091.0000

Message was edited by: 23synapses on 9/1/10 8:11:10 AM CDT
7 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 8

Re: Latest SecurityCenter will not work

Hey there,

Couple questions to start out. What kind of PC is this? And how are you attempting the reinstall? By going to home.mcafee.com and logging in?

23synapses
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

It is a Dell XPS M1710

I uninstalled using the uninstaller via windows the first time.

The 2, 3 and 4th times I used the McAfee cleanup utility (MCPR.exe)

After the complete uninstall I used the software provided by my McAfee login/license that was associated with this computer upon purchase from Dell.

Message was edited by: 23synapses on 9/1/10 11:48:31 AM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8

And you're getting the failure right as you boot up just after install?

23synapses
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I just reinstalled again.  This time the installer asked for a login.  So it looks like I'm good on the license issue.

Now the updates is still acting odd.

The issues occur after I boot up.  I right click the systray icon and tell it to check for updates.  Then, after about 10 seconds (which on this laptop is a very long time), the updates screen comes up.  I've attached the update screen.  It says Completetd 0%.

When I run the Virtual Technician it confirms that the DAT file is out of date.  When I try to use its links to update the DAT it completes the update.  When I scan again the Virtual Technician says my DAT file is still out of date.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 8

Thanks. I'm making the assumption that you have a high speed connection, am I correct in that?

Would you mind opening SecurityCenter, clicking Navigation (top right), then clicking About and getting me the version information? It won't allow copy/paste, so you can upload screenshots to make life a little easier.

23synapses
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Yes it is a cable modem

Version info

OS - Windows 7

SecurityCenter build - 10.5.195

DAT version 6091.0000

Message was edited by: 23synapses on 9/3/10 11:22:49 AM CDT
23synapses
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

I'm starting to think I'm getting a false negative from these tools.

I just check my DAT version and it has changed to a more recent version.

It is now DAT version 6093

But when I run the diagnostics it still says the DAT is out of date and when I check for updates it still says 0% complete.  Very confusing.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community