Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KLAUSTEST
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Latest DAT-File

Jump to solution

Hi,

when displaying general information about the suite, the following information is displayed:

Mc Afee Virus Scan

Version 14.5

Build 14.5.113

Dat-Version 6088.0000

Scan-Module 5400.1158

Firewall:

Version 11.5

Build 11.5.135

I've always switche "Update" to "Auto" but I'm wondering if these are the latest version.

Can anyone let me know?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Latest DAT-File

Jump to solution

I think you may be slightly out of date. Check your McAfee products with MVT (the McAfee Virtual Technician tool). If you haven't got it on your desktop, you can find it under the Tech Support (Home) section here. It's a free download.

My versions are slightly ahead of yours, as you can see from the screenshot below.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

I think you may be slightly out of date. Check your McAfee products with MVT (the McAfee Virtual Technician tool). If you haven't got it on your desktop, you can find it under the Tech Support (Home) section here. It's a free download.

My versions are slightly ahead of yours, as you can see from the screenshot below.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Actualy they are way out of date. What date was shown there under the dat version?

My son in Law's PC was like that abd that was a trojan that disabled the updater but allowed Mcafee to scan still. Strange.

As well as Peter's suggestion I would also follow his suggestion I cut from another post if manual update does not update the files. If it does scan the pC and check it with the below software.

If you think you have a virus infection on your PC do one or both of the following :

- Run the free Mcafee Stinger program from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -

set it to Report Mode (in Preferences) and post the logs of anything it detects.(set the scan to high sensitivity)

If you want a second opinion, or to be on the safe side, then you can do a scan with the free versions of these tools :

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

If you already have Malwarebytes installed, the virus could be protecting itself against it. In that case, in order to get Malwarebytes running you'll need to rename the executable. Open the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes
Antimalware folder, then rename the "mbam.exe" file and double-click directly on the file to open the program. After updating the program, run a full system scan using Malwarebytes.

Make sure both programs are updated to the latest versions before running them and let them clean anything they find. If they quarantine a file or fail to remove a file try to get a copy of it and send it to
Mcafee using the virus submission path described here :

Also double check you have the update on auto.....

KLAUSTEST
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

I've done a manual update, now I'm using Dat-version 6175. McAfee Virtual technician displays "Everything is ok".

But I'm a bit surprised that I have recognized this update-problem only after 3 months of non-updating the Dat-files and the status-messages of McAfee main menu always informed me that everything is ok. Everythin in connection with McAfee updates was always switched on "auto".

Any idea?

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Do a search on the forum for 'Smart Timer', and you will find lots of comments.

From my perspective, this new 'feature' effectively eliminates the auto update feature.

"The 2010 version has a new feature called Smart Timer that sees if the PC is in use and holds off updating till it is idle."

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

As Philf states Smart timer holds off updates till PC has been idle. This has been adjusted in the 10.5 patch to force an update no matter if no update occurred after 48 hrs or so. So unless you are still on the 10.0 versions I really do not know why unless you do have a virus. My son in Law's PC was full (58) of trojans and they had disabled the updates but when I selected update manually it worked thus I do suggest to follow the tests I suggested.

on 24/11/10 6:31:26 AM
KLAUSTEST
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks to Phil and Peacekeeper,

Because I'm using 10.5 I thought, VirusScan should update without manual help.

But now I will start updating it regularily. My laptop is frequently in idle-mode an I do not understand, why VirusScan is not updating.

It's very likely that I'm changing to Avira Antivir, this suite is running on my wife's laptop without any problems.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Even if you change please check your PC with the other scanners I mentioned. Also all scanners are nort 100% reliable new beasties can slip through when you(mcafee) has not had a dat update for them yet. This is what I feel happened to you and my son in Law recently. I would suggest staying interesting things maybe happening in the next year's version.

Good luck whatever path you take

KLAUSTEST
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Thank you

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community