cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene
Former Member
Message 11 of 33

Re: Issues with SecurityCenter

I have a very similar problem on Windows XP. I just received an update about an hour ago and had to reboot. Now the shield in the tray is dead -- clicking on it has no effect. Calling up McAfee from the Start menu brings up a white rectangle. The only way to get rid of the rectangle is to kill McAfee with the Task Manager.

In other words, I have no protection. Nothing. I've tried rebooting twice, but nothing changes. The dead shield is in the System Tray and when I call up McAfee from the start menu I get the blank rectangle. Killing the process also kills the dead shield in the tray.

Message was edited by: Gene on 6/4/11 12:43:09 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Gene on 6/4/11 12:57:14 PM CDT
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 33

Gene,

Does any of the suggestions from Jayadeep or Peacekeeper help that were posted earlier in this thread?

Gene
Former Member
Message 13 of 33

I haven't tried uninstalling. I will try that now.

Gene
Former Member
Message 14 of 33

I was able to download Virtual Tech despite the not found message, but running it had no effect.

I'm unable to uninstall via Windows' remove programs. When I click on "Change/Remove" the same blank rectangle appears and takes the focus. I will try MCPR without uninstalling first.

Gene
Former Member
Message 15 of 33

I seem to be caught in an impossible situation. MCPR does not run. It stays stuck at preparing uninstallation. I gave it 15 minutes, but there's no disk activity and no cpu use, so it's doing nothing. I am unable to uninstall McAfee via Add and Remove Programs. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do now.

Gene
Former Member
Message 16 of 33

I've run Vitual Tech several times. It reports the following file as not present:

C:\Program Files\common files\mcafee\msc\mcdspwrp.dll

It also claims to have solved the problem. I checked and the file is there.

Gene
Former Member
Message 17 of 33

My problem seems to be solved -- for now.

I downloaded and reinstalled from my account, without uninstalling first. The iinstaller removed the old version and required a reboot before installing the new version.

I'm now running Security Center 11.0.555. I hope I don't get an update that breaks it again because I don't know what I was running before.

I've spent several hours on this and it's getting pretty aggravating. About a year ago I was getting an error message on shutdown which took McAfee several months to fix. Then there was the Site Advisor problem with Firefox. Now this.

Message was edited by: Gene on 6/4/11 4:22:43 PM CDT
drmabuse
Former Member
Message 18 of 33

I don't have the session number, at least I don't know I have. I didn't write it down during the chat. I have a service request number though.

SR-694485760

I hope this helps.

In addition, I found out when trying to uninstall McAfee through the control pannel, the 'remove' button in the Uninstall Window won't work either.

When trying to delete a program from the firewall - settings - internet connections for programs - won't work either.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 33

Did you try the reinstall direct from the account as Gene did. I was surprised it worked but worth a go will ask Monday re your issue. Did MCPR fail as weel as Gene said?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/06/11 12:06:13 PM
drmabuse
Former Member
Message 20 of 33

the MCPR worked.

The chat technician installed from my account twice. No luck 😞

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community