Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Issues after Upgrading to 13.6

Jump to solution

Hi, My McAfee Security Center upgraded to the 13.6 version on the 20th February. I didn't check for updates yesterday due to illness, but on booting up today the Real-time Scanner wouldn't stay on.

I remember something similar happening with the previous version upgrade, so tried checking for updates. There was an update, which took ages to install (and apparently was the same version number as before), but this seemed to fix the Real-time Scanner. I ran MVT which said everything was fine, but after a reboot the same thing happened - the Real-time Scanner wouldn't stay on and it seemed to need updating again.

Oddly, after another reboot everything seems fine: MVT can't find any issues and I've stopped getting warning messages. I'll contact Tech support if it happens again, but in the meantime here are my current Builds from the About page - do these look correct?

McAfee Security Center

Version: 13.6

Build: 13.6.1529

Affld: 105

Last Update: 22/02/2015

Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware

Version: 17.6

Build: 17.6.559

Personal Firewall

Version: 14.6

Build: 14.6.495

SiteAdvisor

Version: 3.7

Build: 3.7.2.191

Affld: 0

Last Update: 13/02/2015

Anti-Spam

Version: 14.6

Build: 14.6.275

Content Version: 5212

Content Version: 09/02/2015 17:47:47

Engine Version: 3.0.0.429

QuickClean and Shredder

Verison: 13.6

Build: 13.6.353

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Re: Issues after Upgrading to 13.6

Jump to solution

If the problems persist. completely uninstall, cleanup and reinstall as per:  How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

and if that fails to cure the situation, contact technical Support directly, it's free of charge:  Services and Support for Home and Office

View solution in original post

10 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Judging from your Screen Capture, all seems to be appropriate. Note: it does occasionally require a couple of restarts. I also was updated to the (New) v13.6.1592/Anti-Virus Build (17.6.559) so I would consider all to be well,IMHO.

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

However I must include that there has been a (New) Site Advisor Version slowly throttled/released ( 3.7.9.140 ) with an entire New look and features. In addition MSC v14.0.207 is additionally being throttled/released. Which I have yet to obtain.

One of the main fixes in this Version, is that you no longer see the "Scanning Rootkit" display which was understandably misleading. Which basically meant "Scanning for Rootkit". I am confident in saying that there are possible enhancements as well, however we are never well-versed as to what they are.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

If the problems persist. completely uninstall, cleanup and reinstall as per:  How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

and if that fails to cure the situation, contact technical Support directly, it's free of charge:  Services and Support for Home and Office

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Thank you, Ex_Brit and catdaddy.

So far everything seems to be okay.Why does upgrading to a newer version tend to cause problems, as I'm sure I've seen threads about similar problems after version upgrades?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

I guess it's a case of "no matter how you test something, there will always be a problem in some circumstances".   Good luck to you.

Is this one solved then?

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks, Ex_Brit.

I hope the next upgrade will run more smoothly, though that probably won't be for another year at least.

Yes, this one looks solved now.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

As you get your Mcafee product from/through a third party they tend as you have seen to lag behind a bit. Version 14 has been tentatively released to some locals but so far you are not missing much as there are only 2 or so minor issues fixed and these will probably come to 13.6 soon.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

You are quite welcome   Glad to see that all is Okay now. I am curious to know, did simply restarting your System again resolve your issue? Or did you have to do a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall?  Sometimes it can be either/or....

All the very Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi catdaddy,

It took about three restarts to get it working properly, which was a surprise as restarting alone has never fixed problems like this before. A similar issue happened after upgrading to the 12.8 version, but an update check/install fixed that. For some reason updating alone didn't solve the problem this time, but restarting after the update had installed did.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community