cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csylvain
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Is there any way to delete log files?

i'm thinking there should be a manual way to clear at least one of the logs:  on one of my XP systems, i have the log file

04/30/2012  09:22 AM     1,103,865,856 {D7FB805D-8827-4A38-8241-340B5D18D9F7}.log

this file was manually reset (safe mode and copy con "{D7FB805D-8827-4A38-8241-340B5D18D9F7}.log"  CTRL-Z Enter) only two days ago.  it was 9GB (!!!) before the manual reset and the system was showing the effects.

at the very least there should be a way to request an upper bound on these SQLite-based log files.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is there any way to delete log files?

I branched this to your own thread as the original poster had asked to for his account to be disabled, so have locked that thread.

That's not normal - my MCLOGS is only 6.34MB.   I would contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

There's another way of freeing up Windows files generally - when doing a Disc Cleanup take the extra step of cleaning up all but the last restore point.  The steps vary by system.

csylvain
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

it is a system which at times is very busy.  i've suspended Firewall event logging and the file appears to have halted its expansion.  i am certain all the moving parts are operating within their design parameters - except i am taking issue with one of the design decisions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Yes, I quite understand.

csylvain
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

i can supply two more data points:

04/30/2012  10:52 AM     1,108,257,792 {D7FB805D-8827-4A38-8241-340B5D18D9F7}.log

and

04/30/2012  10:59 AM         4,390,912 {D7FB805D-8827-4A38-8241-340B5D18D9F7}.log

so while i don't know the purpose of this file in MSC/Logs , i can say a remedy is to disable Firewall Event Logging.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Tech Support might be able to identify it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community