cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephe
Contributor II
Message 1 of 4

Is SecurityCenter obsolete, replaced by Internet Security or Total Protection?

I have had McAfee SecurityCenter on my current PC for five years.

However, whenever I go to http://www.mcafee.com , all I see are

McAfee Internet Security and McAfee Total Protection being

advertised -- not McAfee SecurityCenter

I am assuming that McAfee SecurityCenter is obsolete and has been

replaced by McAfee Internet Security or McAfee Total Protection. 

Which of the two (Internet Security or Total Protection) is most

analogous to SecurityCenter?

When I renew my McAfee subscription (which ends December 2012) to

SecurityCenter, will I be getting an extension to SecurityCenter,

or will my subscription be renamed to Internet Security or

Total Protection?

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is SecurityCenter obsolete, replaced by Internet Security or Total Protection?

SecurityCenter is the name for the GUI - graphical user interface - what you see when you open the software on your desktop. 

Whilst VirusScan Plus, Antivirus Plus in some markets, Internet Security and Total Protection, etc. etc., are the names for suites containing varying amounts of tools depending on what you want.

This is further confusing in that some 3rd party suppliers (ISP's etc.) of the software call the whole thing SecurityCenter and then there's Windows Security Center......it can be puzzling at times.

You renewal will give you whatever it is you have now but the latest version of course.

This is my SecurityCenter but as you can see I have Total Protection.  However, some ISP's or other 3rd party suppliers of the software rename that or even stamp their own brand on it.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/12 7:31:48 EST AM
stephe
Contributor II
Message 3 of 4

Re: Is SecurityCenter obsolete, replaced by Internet Security or Total Protection?

This is my SecurityCenter, which, as you see, is actually named

SecurityCenter:

SecurityCenter image.jpg

As others have pointed out, the price for renewing SecurityCenter

is higher than the price for renewing Internet Security and

Total Protection. Why might this be?

If I switch to Internet Security or McAfee Total Protection,

which is the most like the SecurityCenter that is really called

SecurityCenter?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

That's quite possible, is your McAfee software provided by Comcast or someone similar?

As far as prices go it pays you to shop around, so go wherever you get the best deal, but be careful of pirated software websites, although they aren't too common.

From just looking at it I would say you already have Total Protection but that's a guess.  If you expand those 'drawers' and see Anti-Spam, Anti-Theft, Online Backup, SiteAdvisor Live and Parental Controls then it is, if not then it could be their equivalent of Internet Security Suite.   Comcast and others tailor the suites to suit themselves.

If you do choose to go with a different suite from another source, then I recommend you uninstall McAfee via Control Panel in the normal way, then run the MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and then install from your new account.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community