cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yodaisgreat
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Intruders and unknown devices on my network?

Hello all, I am here looking for some dire help. It seems as if I have about 8 different intruders and unknown devices on my computer. I tried running a tool suggested by a user on another thread but it didn't clean one intruder or unknown device. We only use three computers on our network. IS there any way besides for not trusting the network to reassign a new network cache and quite possibly clean off the unknown devices? I am very scared that these intruders are taking advantage of my information and internet. If you know of some other tool I can operate to clean my network, please send it to me.

6 Replies
vorblesnak
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Intruders and unknown devices on my network?

What do you see that makes you suspect intruders and devices?

How are you seeing them?

Are you using a wireless connection?

David Davis

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it"

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

As David Davis implied, we'll really need a bit more information to be of any real help.

In the meantime though, you should probably install and run two free programs.  They are:

ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com)  This will delete any unnecessary files which is handy, if for no other reason, than to speed up scan times while you're using other tools.  I've used it for well over 4 years now and have never had it delete anything that wasn't junk.

malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org)  Be sure to Update it after the install.

yodaisgreat
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

I have a wireless connection.

Basically, on my map I have myself, my two other computers in black, another computer who is not supposed to be there in black, and a whole amount of unknown unmanaged devices with question marks on them.

Why do you think these unknown devices multiplied like this?

Also, would something like malwarebytes or ccleaner clean off these intruders that are on my Mcafee network?

vorblesnak
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

yodaisgreat wrote:

>> "I have a wireless connection."

Any wireless connection should have some form of security enabled and that security is only as good as the encryption technique and the password. If you have not set security up this could be why others have joined your network. The first step would be to enable security. The manual that came with your hardware will have some information on how to do this. There are many good discussions online about securing a wireless network. If you have security enabled then you need to look at the password you have used, is it complex enough?

However, the devices you see may not be on your network. Your PC may be sensing those devices on adjacent networks and just displaying them as available for you to connect. There are many wireless networks and if you have a good PC it will show you all that it can find. But you are not connected to them, or should not be.

>> "Basically, on my map I have myself, my two other computers in black, another computer who is not supposed to be there in black, and a whole amount of unknown unmanaged devices with question marks on them."

>> "Why do you think these unknown devices multiplied like this?"

I suspect your computer is learning the wireless environment in your area, that is why it is showing them.  If you point at one of the devices and right click on it you should be able to get some Properties about the device. If it is not on on your network you will get a message telling you it is not on your network and asking if you want to connect to that network.

Wireless security and a good firewall will serve you well.

David Davis

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it"

yodaisgreat
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Allright, thank you for all your help. I have just posted something specifically on the home network security community. Hopefully with your advice and any possible advice, I will be able to obtain information of getting rid of these unknowns.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7

No, malwarebytes and ccleaner wouldn't help you get rid of any rogue devices on your network.  I only suggested it as a preliminary step in protecting your computer in the event one of the rogues were attacking you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community