cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmj2008
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Internet security suite with site advisor

I am not sure if should post my problems here.
Recently I upgraded my computer to win XP with a computer literate friend and later installed the above software, which is compatible with win XP, -in admin mode.( Bought at Amazons)
Double clicking on the icon in admin mode the following message comes up.
' The version of security centre that is installed on your computer is designed for a different OS. If you have updated recently to XP please un-install all McAfee products, reinstall, restart the computer and then reinstall all the products to get the correct version for your OS', although from time to time a message appears that my computer is protected and there is nothing for me to do.

In the non-admin mode when I tried to open it, it flatly refuses to open.However for some reason I was able to open it once but not any more

I also wish to disable this software; as recommended, to load other softwares.
But I did not find any facility to disable when once I was able to open the programme.
I am grateful for any advice as how to resolve this problem. I must say I am not an expert in computers. Many Thanks:confused:
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

RE: Internet security suite with site advisor

What version of XP? 32 or 64-bit and have you updated to the latest service pack (3)? Are you up to date with all critical and non-critical updates from Microsoft?

Also post details of your installed memory (RAM) and hard drive space.

Also did you already register the McAfee products online?
jmj2008
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Many thanks Ex.Brit
The version of XP is Professional with service pack 2 and advanced security technologies.
Have not updated to service pack 3
RAM memory is 640MB and Hard drive is 20GB
I have registered with McAfee.
I did not update critical and non critical updates from microsoft
I am not sure XP professional is 32 or 64
Pl. advise. Thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

I forgot you asked how to disable things..

Double-click the taskbar icon to Open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (top left)
You can disable VirusScan and tell it for how long in the right-hand module.

Click Internet & Network (top left)
Do the same as above for firewall if necessary.

I recommend that at least you enable Windows Firewall before doing this.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

It must be 32-bit XP as McAfee would not install at all otherwise.
When you have some spare time I thoroughly recommend that you update to SP3 and there is help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807
(You will have to disable at least VirusScan and I posted how to do that above). Also make sure you are up to date with ALL Microsoft updates.

Do the following to cleanup McAfee and, hopefully, get it to work properly.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
Don't worry if you can't find these files and folders as the removal tool should have deleted them anyway.
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you may have.

Worldwide McAfee Download Sites
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

goto C:/programfiles/McAfee/MSC look for the file mcshell.exe

Right click on mcshell.exe click on compatibility mode uncheck the option Run in compatibility mode.
jmj2008
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Many thank Ex,Brit
Uninstalled using add/remove and MCPR.exe
I registered via the UK McAfee site but amongst the products that I had to choose from did not have my product, viz 'McAfee Internet Secutiy suite with site advisor'
However I selected the most nearest to my product viz 'MsAfee virus security suite' but the message said that the site is temporarily unavailable or not in use.
Should I in any case install using the CD?:confused:
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

What was the name of the product listed in your account?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Then I would use the CD in that case. Keeping fingers crossed for you here...!
jmj2008
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Thank you Martrixluke
I could find only mcshell but not mcshell.exe in my search as advised.

The title of the product I purchsed is:
McAfee Internet Security Suite with Site Advisor
suitable for win XP with pack 2 and over.:confused:
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community