cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 29

Re: Internet access blocked by McAfee ???

That's too bad but if it works for you then OK.   All the best 😉

nickhoare
Contributor
Message 12 of 29

The laptop was Ok following the 'update' and still OK yesterday so I thought the 'update' might have fixed it.  However today same problem.  I did the same thing and again despite Mcafee updating automatically i found another update and said the user interface had to close.  Once again as soon as the user interface closed internet access started working. Even after a reboot internet access is OK.

I will try to remember to do as you suggest the next time (I will tell the user what they have to try).

Elsewhere here I have seen suggestions to stop using hte mcafee firewall and revert to Microsoft.  In this product I can see no option for doing that.  Windows firewall says 'These settings are managed by vendor application Mcafee' and won't allow changes.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 29

Hi nickhoare,

You have to stop McAfee's firewall on the Security Center Panel.

Go to the firewall Tab and choose deactivate.

McAfee will send warnings. Don't feel intimidated. Ignore the messages

Windows firewall will take over.

It is day 3 now without McAfee firewall and it is still fine on my PC.

Michael

nickhoare
Contributor
Message 14 of 29

Yes I did that.  The firewall settings have a large 'Turn Off' button.  I used that and dismissed all the Mcafee warnings ect. However returning to Windows Firewall it still showed the same message 'These settings are managed by vendor application Mcafee'.  Even after a reboot Mcafee was warning me about the firewall being off but Windows Firewall continued to show the message.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 15 of 29

It looks weird, indeed.

This display implies McAfee firewall to be just asleep and Windows firewall to be turned off:

But this display tells me that Windows firewall is active:

So I think you cannot just get rid off the McAfee firewall. You then have to deinstall the whole McAfee software.

McAfee is just like an octopus with 256 arms.

Michael

Nachricht geändert durch hmkemerz on 18.12.13 09:38:43 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 29

You would have to uninstall/reinstall. this time without McAfee Firewall.   Disabling the firewall just does that, the flag that effects Windows Security Center is still in place so the only solution is as previously stated.

This flag has different effects in different OS's from what I've observed.  

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/12/13 10:52:33 EST AM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 29

Hello,

I did now unistall McAfee Security Center, ran MCPR and re-installed McAfee Security Center WITHOUT the McAfee firewall.

Now the Windows firewall is really shown as being active.

Thanks.

Michael

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 29

I thought that would work for you, good luck. 😉

nickhoare
Contributor
Message 19 of 29

Restoring Defaults has not helped (unless it needs a reboot after, which hasn't happened yet.)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 29

This certainly should not be happening.  Only Technical Support can sort this out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community