cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TLG57
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Internet Security Alert: Why isn't this blocked?

Jump to solution

Screenshot (2).png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: Internet Security Alert: Why isn't this blocked?

Jump to solution
Because if this has been triggered by javascript in a poisoned advertisement on a webpage - otherwise safe - that you are visiting then, as long as no files are being modified and no known-bad site is being called up, McAfee is unaware of anything wrong.

The fault here probably lies with one of the websites you've got open. My guess is Fox News, because news sites sites are stuffed with adverts from external sites over which they have no control. They just keep open advertising space on the page and lease it - in nanosecond real-time - to one of the ad networks.

Yes this is obviously a scam warning. I'm sure you realised that at once. But it's not McAfee's fault you saw it. I suggest you use an Ad-blocker, even though the news corps hate them (losing advertising revenue). Well, too bad. The whole online advertising ecosystem is badly in need of an overhaul because you just can't trust the content any more.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: Internet Security Alert: Why isn't this blocked?

Jump to solution
Because if this has been triggered by javascript in a poisoned advertisement on a webpage - otherwise safe - that you are visiting then, as long as no files are being modified and no known-bad site is being called up, McAfee is unaware of anything wrong.

The fault here probably lies with one of the websites you've got open. My guess is Fox News, because news sites sites are stuffed with adverts from external sites over which they have no control. They just keep open advertising space on the page and lease it - in nanosecond real-time - to one of the ad networks.

Yes this is obviously a scam warning. I'm sure you realised that at once. But it's not McAfee's fault you saw it. I suggest you use an Ad-blocker, even though the news corps hate them (losing advertising revenue). Well, too bad. The whole online advertising ecosystem is badly in need of an overhaul because you just can't trust the content any more.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community