cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abredt
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Installation Question

I am running McAfee Total Protection 2010 on 2 computers - one is XP and the other is Vista. I purchased a disk with Total Protection 2011.  Must I uninstall 2010 first, or can I just  insert the 2011 disk?

When I installed 2010, I just put the disk in.

Thanks, cb

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Installation Question

It should be OK just to install over the old one as long as your current product isn't a branded one (Dell, your ISP or similar).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/05/11 6:28:00 EDT PM
abredt
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Thanks. I uninstalled and installed over the Dell McAfee successfully.

Next I have to do the others that already have 2010.

cb

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/05/11 6:28:17 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Did it remove the Dell branding?   By the way, unless you use the online option, and maybe even if you do, you will most likely end up with the 2010 version still as the 2011 one hasn't yet been released to all servers.

As long as your subscription is valid it will automatically upgrade when the time comes.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/05/11 6:28:37 EDT PM
abredt
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

OOPs - I puchased a McAfee Total Protection 2011 3-user disk and installed it on the new Dell laptop using the product code for the disk. I didn't notice the banner when I opened McAfee. Yes, I used the online option.

I also installed it on 2 other computers that had been running Total Protection 2010 - using the new product code.

Now all 3 computers say McAfee Security Center - NOT Total Protection. Does that mean I'm not getting the full version of  Total Protection 2011 that I paid for?

What should I do now?

Thanks, cb

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/05/11 6:29:16 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

Uninstall, use the MCPR removal tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall using the online method.

In the unlikely event that takes you over your license quota call Customer Service also under that link, it's a free call.   They'll sort it out.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/05/11 6:29:33 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

I've given you your oiwn thread and renamed it accordingly.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community