cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnof
Former Member
Message 1 of 35

Installation Incomplete- We couldn't install any of the security features etc.....

Jump to solution

Hi

I've been reading severeral other discussions where people seem to be having a similar problem as myself and i think i've tried most of the suggested solutions.

Basically when installing McAfee security centre i get the installation incomplete message, then i run virtual technician and it says product update required but the link to "update now" does not work. I've tried uninstalling using the MCPR, used the preinstallation tool, uninstalled C++ and reinstalled the latest version but the same result occurs every time.

I'm using windows 7 64 bit, have IE 9 (but use firefox 19.0.2), Acer Aspire 4802T

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthiks
Former Member
Message 7 of 35

Re: Installation Incomplete- We couldn't install any of the security features etc.....

Jump to solution

Johnof,

Uninstall the two Microsoft C++ 2010 packages present in the uninstall a program list

Restart the computer

Navigate to the below location

Search for the below dll files, if present continue the below steps to rename it. If none of the below files are present follow the steps given to reinstall the Microsoft package and reinstall the McAfee

atl100.dll

msvcr100.dll

msvcp100.dll

Rename the above dll files as given below

atl100.dll12345

msvcr100.dll12345

msvcp100.dll12345

After renaming  the above files click the below link to install the latest Microsoft visual C++ 2010 package

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=13523

After installing the package, restart the computer

Reinstall the McAfee

Note: Please be cautious while renaming the files in system 32 location. Rename only the files mentioned  above. If you are not comfortable doing it, please let me know so that I will tell you how to proceed it further.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
karthiks
Former Member
Message 2 of 35

Re: Installation Incomplete- We couldn't install any of the security features etc.....

Jump to solution

Johnof,

Check the thread HERE

Get me the Mfehidin.log & McInst folder text docs

johnof
Former Member
Message 3 of 35

Jump to solution

Hi Karthiks

Like the poster in the thread you directed me to i cannot find the Mfehidin.log.

However i have found the McInst text docs-

Common000

03/13/2013 10:02:56 PM [mscLI.inf, MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error in installation. Cleaning up all entries previously created under appid MSC

mcsvchost64.inf000

03/13/2013 10:02:56 PM [MSC] -- (Error) There was an error in the call when executing regsvr32.exe with command line /s  "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\MCSVCH~1\mcsvhver.dll". Error: 3

03/13/2013 10:02:56 PM [MSC] -- (Error) There was an error registering C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHVer.dll. Error: 3

03/13/2013 10:02:56 PM [MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error (3) during installation. Directly deleting the temporary folder C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\Temp\qxz5CEE since we wont be needing it anyway

mscLI.inf000

03/13/2013 10:02:56 PM [MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error (1603) during installation. Directly deleting the temporary folder C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\Temp\qxz5CEE since we wont be needing it anyway

Many Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 35

Jump to solution

If this is 7 SP1 try installing IE10 as that has now been released and is more secure (even if you don't use IE, McAfee does).

Also if you had any previous antivirus installed use the applicable removal tool if any.

If McAfee was previously installed run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and retry your installation.

If you suspect an infection, try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both listed on the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/03/13 3:42:10 EDT PM
karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 35

Jump to solution

Johnof,

Thanks for the logs, really appreciate it.

The log says the problem with the installation is because of McSvHVer.dll file. I believe I can help you out to fix the problem.

Kindly let me know how many Microsoft Visual C++ packages present in the uninstall a program list. I would appreciate if you post a screen shot of the Microsoft C++ packages reflects in the Uninstall a Program list

johnof
Former Member
Message 6 of 35

Jump to solution

Hi Karthiks

I uninstalled a few C++ programmes and reinstalled the latest (i think) after reading one of the other threads on here. This is the screenshot showing my latest installed C++ packages-

Untitled.jpg

karthiks
Former Member
Message 7 of 35

Jump to solution

Johnof,

Uninstall the two Microsoft C++ 2010 packages present in the uninstall a program list

Restart the computer

Navigate to the below location

Search for the below dll files, if present continue the below steps to rename it. If none of the below files are present follow the steps given to reinstall the Microsoft package and reinstall the McAfee

atl100.dll

msvcr100.dll

msvcp100.dll

Rename the above dll files as given below

atl100.dll12345

msvcr100.dll12345

msvcp100.dll12345

After renaming  the above files click the below link to install the latest Microsoft visual C++ 2010 package

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=13523

After installing the package, restart the computer

Reinstall the McAfee

Note: Please be cautious while renaming the files in system 32 location. Rename only the files mentioned  above. If you are not comfortable doing it, please let me know so that I will tell you how to proceed it further.

johnof
Former Member
Message 8 of 35

Jump to solution

Hi Karthiks

Fantastic, that worked perfectly, Mcafee succesfully reinstalled!

Thank you so much for all your help, it is greatly appreciated

Regards

Johnof

karthiks
Former Member
Message 9 of 35

Jump to solution

Johnof,

Great work, Have a great day ahead

nehalreads
Former Member
Message 10 of 35

Jump to solution

Good job karthiks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community