Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajwh
Former Member
Message 31 of 44

Re: Inoperative Customer Support Tools

Bill,

Be careful! I found that re-installing Helvetica worked until I rebooted the computer.

I have had to remove Helvetica completely - for me not a big deal as I use a Font Handler to install and uninstall fonts.

Since the problem arises with both T1 and TTF versions of Helvetica, I presume the problem is in the hard-coding of the GUI.

I see Peter's comment above:

Yes... if a non-standard or non-Microsoft font is introduced into the system it throws IE off just enough to cause blank UI's in McAfee and possibly other software that relies on IE.  This per T3 technician.   Solution, uninstall that font.

but actually Helvetica is a widely used type face

Andrew

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 44

It isn't a standard font though and that's the issue.  I realise McAfee should alter the code to compensate for this shortcoming to not be reliant on that, but until they do avoid changing fonts if at all possible.

ajwh
Former Member
Message 33 of 44

I agree It's not a Windows System font.

However, if you look around you, it is a widely used font.

I do see that it might not be simple to change the code for the GUI.

As an interim measure, may I suggest you add this hint to your FAQ note at the top of the forum? It's a lot easier to check than uninstalling and re-installing.

Andrew

CORRECTION:

It seems to be an issue with Hevetica Type 1.

I have been able to install a TTF version and it doesn't produce a problem, so Billrodgers is correct.

Andrew

Message was edited by: ajwh on 11/14/12 4:06:12 AM CST

Message was edited by: ajwh on 11/14/12 4:13:40 AM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 44

Oh I don't deny that.  That's an interesting observation.   I've made this a topic for our next conference call with McAfee on Monday afternoon next.   I wonder if this issue carries over into the new Windows 8-compatible UI intro'd with MSC 12.1?    That is in the process of being distributed slowly as we speak to new installs in CA, US and AU and is throttled back for updates, but will occur naturally in a short while for those too, and other regions to follow shortly thereafter.

Which FAQ note at the top of which forum though?  There are so many forums and FAQ's for that matter.    I'd have to get someone at McAfee to do that anyway.

Maybe a FAQ on the support pages would be good.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/11/12 5:30:31 EST AM
ajwh
Former Member
Message 35 of 44

Peter,

I was referring to your post at:

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3000

Andrew

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 44

Andrew, excellent thought,  Now to compose the addition.   Is it def. only Helvetica and only Helvetica Type 1 (whatever that is, I am very ignorant regarding FONTS I'm afraid and never mess with them)??

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 37 of 44

OK have reworded it, can you check please?

I'd forgotten that one was there to be honest.

ajwh
Former Member
Message 38 of 44

Peter, that will do.

However, is it worth putting it at the top as "try this first - it's easier"

Fonts come in two basic types.

Type 1 fonts are an older standard, designed originally for Postscript printers - usually named xxxxxx.afm

Newer fonts tend to be Truetype - xxxxx.ttf or Opentype - also xxxxx.ttf

Andrew

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 39 of 44

Thanks, will do and thank you for explaining this.  I've never messed with them here but may do some experimentation later if I have time because I have the new 2013 user interface here and want to see if it's affected in the same way.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 44

OK it's done and I've put in a suggestion that either a new FAQ be posted on the Support website or the old one there be updated to include that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community