Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 16

Re: IE8 set as outbound and still responds to input connections

OK I'll flag this and hope that I can get a firewall expert to explain what's going on.  All I know is what I've learned and that is if you set permissions to other than what McAfee sets by default you'll get these kind of pop-ups.

newjack
Former Member
Message 12 of 16

So you get this pop up every time you try to connect to the internet?That would be extremely annoying.I do agree that IE &firefox can be set to outbound and work, that is how i have it on mine.Although i have security 2009,i would think the same should apply for the new version.You also said there was no system gaurd area that may be triggering an alert?Peter knows the answer most of the time so if he can`t help, unfortunately you will have to wait for answer.I have said in past that i believe Mcafee should employ a few people to help with the forums.It would take a little of the load off of the few people that volunteer alot of their time to help other Mcafee subscribers. And would also provide better support for their costumers.Alot of people don`t enjoy tech support so for the people that don`t like going that route it would be a great costumer service tool for Mcafee.End result,much happier Mcafee costumers that have tech problems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 16

Technical Support Chat will be able to clarify - linked under McAfee Support at top of this page or under Useful Links.

I have set IE8 manually for Outbound only

That means it wont ask for permission for outgoing traffic, but it will ask for permission if any incoming traffic is detected.

Hence that pop-up.  You can't lock down the firewall in one direction only in other words.

Obviously I'm not understanding exactly what it is the OP needs hence the suggestion of Tech. Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/02/10 12:42:00 EST PM
MRoutt
Former Member
Message 14 of 16

Ex_Brit,

What the OP is looking for, given that IE and Firefox do not need to accept unsolicited inbound connections, is atleast the option to tell McAfee firewall to block unsolicited inbound connections for those applications.  It appears, at least for the moment, that McAfee configures itself for IE and Firefox such that unsolicited inbound connections are passed through the firewall to said applications and there is no user override available.  As for myself, for the time being I have gone with another product that gives me these options.  Other than what has been previously said, I am at a loss to comprehend what it is you are not understanding.

Message was edited by: MRoutt on 2/14/10 9:54:37 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 16

Understood.  I guess it treats it on a case by case basis and asks every time a different application tries.  Notice in the pop-up that it can be denied (or blocked).

The other way is to lock down the firewall entirely but that would halt all traffic.

I have flagged this and hopefully someone will answer even though its a holiday weekend.

Yellew_One
Former Member
Message 16 of 16

For cross-reference in case somebody noticed this thread: this issue is now also in the 2011 version. Has anyone looked at this at all? I take it it was flagged, but the issue is still there. See https://community.mcafee.com/message/166419

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community