cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelquis
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

IE7 Opens Slow

Hope someone has some suggestions for me. My signature shows my OS and McAfee components. I uninstalled McAfee and opened several websites in IE7. They each opened in 4 to 6 seconds. I then installed McAfee. I did not change any of the settings, I just left it as installed. Opening the same websites took from 10 to 22 seconds. What McAfee setting changes might possibly reduce the IE7 opening time back towards the 4 to 6 seconds. I really don't need Parental Controls at all, and I don't think I need Anti-Spam. Any suggestions?

I just noticed something that may mean something to someone who understands McAfee's workings. I noticed that IF I have an IE7 window open, then opening other websites as before, they return to their 4 to 6 second opening speed. But, if I then close both IE7 windows and then open one, the time goes back to the 10 to 22 second. So, a second instance of IE7 experiences normal quick opening speed, but opening the first instance causes the opening time to double or triple. Hopefully, that behavior will provide a clue as to what's causing the opening delay, and how to fix it. Thanks.
3 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: IE7 Opens Slow

Hi,

Are you still facing the same issue?, if so please let us know
shelquis
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Yes, BalaSGS. The behavior is unchanged from the description of my problem that I posted on 1/5/09. Do you have some suggestions for me?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I really don't need Parental Controls at all, and I don't think I need Anti-Spam. Any suggestions?

Then uninstall them by selecting McAfee Security Center in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and selecting only those items for removal. See if it helps.

You can always add them later using the Customize option in the installer.

Also make sure that IE7 is set to its default settings by going to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and clicking the Reset button, closing and reopening IE7. You will have to re enable the add-ons afterwards.

Make sure you don't have any other protections that is active other than McAfee and make sure that McAfee is set to default settings, especially in the Firewall.
Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Internet & Network (top left)
Adjustments can be made in the right-hand side and clicking the Advanced button there gives many options.
Anything above default will contribute to slowdowns.

Make sure that Windows Firewall is disabled.

Clear out all your temporary files - go to Start/Run and enter %temp% , Edit button/Select All and delete as many as will go.
Do the same entering just temp - not all will go but a good many will.

In SiteAdvisor options make sure that Protected Mode is turned off.

Did you have other software installed prior to this version of McAfee?

Lastly Google speed up ie7 to find hints on the web.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community