cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenbdb
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

I use a service called MSGTAG to inform me

I use a service called MSGTAG to inform me when an email I send is opened by the recipient. As a
teacher this program has become indispensible to me in my communication with students. It works in
the following way.

"MSGTAG adds a small invisible tag to an outgoing email message. When the recipient opens the email, the tag notifies the MSGTAG server, which in turn notifies the sender that the message has been received. "

Up until I upgraded my previous McAfee Enterprise program to VirusScan Enterprise + Antispyware Enterprise 8.7.0i MSGTAG worked without a problem. Now however, McAfee interupts all outgoing mail and my mail server, SMTP.FUSE.NET gives me the following error message: "Error talking to SMTP server[554 MSTGTAG unable to connect to SMTP server]"

How do I know that McAfee is the blocking agent? If I disable McAfee's On Access Scan the message passes
through and MSGTAG provides the usual notification . Thus, there must be a way to tell McAfee to allow
MSGTAG to tag and pass my outgoing email in the normal fashion. Unfortunately, I do not know how/where
to look within McAfee's VirusScan Console to make the needed change. I trust that one of the forum experts
will be able to assist me...Thanks greenbdb

I checked the log and found that McAfee is blocking MSGTAGstatus.exe from accessing port 25 which my outgoing email server (SMTP.fuse.net) uses. The log reads as follows:

10/10/2009 5:00:59 PM Blocked by port blocking rule D:\MSGTAG Status\MSGTAGStatus.exe Anti-virus Standard Protection:Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail 216.68.8.162:25

How do I tell McAfee to allow MSGTAGstatus to gain entry to port 25?....Greenbdb
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

RE: I use a service called MSGTAG to inform me

You are using VirusScan Enterprise according to another thread so locking this one as we only deal with home products in this section.

Post in this section: http://community.mcafee.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community