How to stop auto scanning of external drives

SeccurityCenter

Version: 14.0

Build: 14.0.7086

Affld: 105

Anti-Virus and Spyware

Version: 18.0

Build: 18.0.7065

Is there any way to stop McAfee from automatically scanning external drives when they are plugged in?  When I plug in a drive to backup, McAfee freezes my computer using 85 to 90 percent of the CPU for as much as 15 minutes before it stops.  I know I can prevent it from scanning files, but is there a way to prevent it from scanning a drive?

5 Replies
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to stop auto scanning of external drives

Click on "Navigation" (Right side of the console)

1a.PNG

Select "Features" (Left side of the console)

1.PNG

Select "Real-Time Scanning"

2.PNG

Select "Settings"

3.PNG

Under settings scroll down to the section "check removable media drives"

Select the option "When I Plug in a drive, ask me to scan it" and Click "Apply"

RTS.png

This should allow you to decide if you want to scan external/removable media when it’s connected to the computer.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 6

For improving the PC performance during the scan. Scroll down further under the same window and select one of the options that suits you under "Choose how thoroughly to scan my PC (Advanced)".

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I appreciate your suggestion, Sanjay, but the setting was already marked "When I plug in a drive, ask me to scan it."  I changed it to one of the other settings, clicked apply, then reset it to "...ask me..." and clicked apply again, but that did nothing to alter the situation.  When I plug in a drive, McAfee does not ask if I want to scan it.  It just goes ahead and scans eating up CPU.  Any other suggestion?

BebeeDedee
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I am using LiveSafe version 16.0 R10 and have the same problem. Anyone using this version?

MartinSentosa
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I was having the same issue with McAfee LiveSafe Version 16.

After trouble shooting sessions with McAfee support Technicians, it is found that the problem comes form turning off all options in Information Alerts.

Turning on all options in information alerts (Settings - General Settings & Alerts - Information Alerts)  will fix this.

It seems that  when you opt in for information alerts regarding new USB drive will prompt scan on any USB drive that you connect to your PC. Later when you  are prompted to scan your USB drive when you plug a USB to your PC, then just choose "No" with "Never ask again" option box ticked.

I hope these steps can resolve your trouble as well.

Cheers,

Martin

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community