cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

How to stop Windows Defender from blocking software?

The advice I was given on  a respected web site was to disable McAfee, download the software I want, and then tell Defender it is all right. At some point McAfee has to be working again but I'm not sure when that is.

When I try to follow the directions given on the same respected web site for telling Defender to ignore the problem software, all I see is that i am protected by McAfee and it doesn't give me a way to do anything with Defender.

6 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to stop Windows Defender from blocking software?

Hello @vchimpanzee 

McAfee doesn't conflict with Windows Defender.  When you access Defender after McAfee is installed, it should show that McAfee is protecting the machine. The information that was provided on a website you have stated is not legit. Please ignore that information.

Also, to let you know that McAfee wont block any files or applications from downloading. In case, If you have any problem in downloading files, please let us know so that we can help you sort the issue.

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 3 of 7

I went back and read the advice. The person told me to tell McAfee, not Defender, to accept the software once I made it work again.

This was the advice I was given about Defender and what I mentioned above was a reply when I told them the other advice wouldn't work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security

The problem with this site is it doesn't provide me with a way to list exceptions. When that screen is supposed to come up, I am told McAfee is doing everything. Still, when I try to download the software, I get a message from Defender.

vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 4 of 7

Actually, this time I didn't get the Windows Defender message. I downloaded the software so I would get the message so I could report it to someone. I don't know if I was successful but I don't see the message anywhere.

vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 5 of 7

I got a message asking whether I found the solution. I have no idea what worked. The person who updated the software that Defender was blocking said he made sure Microsoft would accept it. That didn't necessarily solve the problem. I don't know what did or if I was just successful in getting around the problem.

sivasubramanian
Message 6 of 7

@vchimpanzee 

In order to help further we request you to share the screenshot of the error for the software download which is getting blocked by Defender. Also, please let us know whether McAfee or Defender is shown in "Virus and Threat Protection" on Defender Security Center.

To check the above, 

• Go to Start  
  • Type Defender
  • Select Windows Defender Security Center
  • Click Virus & Threat Protection
  • It should show McAfee
  • If you see Defender instead of McAfee, then update McAfee
    • Update McAfee from the McAfee icon on the desktop:
      1. Double-click the McAfee icon on your desktop.
      2. Click PC Security.
      3. Click Update McAfee App, then click Check for Updates.
      4. Wait for the update to complete. A message will let you know that you are up to date

1. Click My Info, About.
  2. Check the Engine creation date in the McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware section. It should show the current date:

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
vchimpanzee
Contributor II
Message 7 of 7

The problem was solved a long time ago. I have no idea how.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community