cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wrs28
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

How to get AT&T/Yahoo McAfee to Install?

Hello,

I have tried 3 times so far getting McAfee to install. It comes with AT&T DSL, one of the reasons I got the service is because I knew I'd be getting McAfee protection when my Norton ran out.

Now Norton ran out and I can't install McAfee. I did uninstall Norton and use Norton_Removal_Tool.exe as well as MCPR.exe; I rebooted and got McAfeeSetup-Serial.exe but it won't install.

I have Windows 7 SP1 64-bits. Please see the attached screenshot. I quit ZoneAlarm and Ad-Aware, prior to the installation attempt.

Each time I attempt the installation it downloads over 100MB and I get billed if I go past 20GB so I am pretty upset.

I would like to install the software and use it as long as I have AT&T DSL. AT&T actually charges $5 a month for your software (I do not pay for headaches as a rule. My Internet speed is

fast enough where I get McAfee for free, but what good does it do when it won't install?)

I am not at the point where I cancel my AT&T DSL and tell them the reason is because they lied about offering McAfee when it doesn't really work, but I'm still very upset.

Is anyone out there able to get McAfee to work at all? I mean does that product do anything other than show a box and take me closer to going over 20GBs of download??

I would like to hear a "success story" or get information on "how to" install it, if it's even possible.

The MVTInstaller.exe program was a joke. It just told me that I don't have McAfee installed. I can't get tech support or chat with someone until I use that program, but it doesn't do anything,

it just fails. I use Firefox and the download page from McAfee told me I needed Firefox 1.5 or later, when I have firefox 13 already! Let's show a little competency here.

So I had to use Internet Explorer to complete the download. Then it failed on 3 tries and I had to use MVT, which also failed, saying I don't have McAfee installed so it can't help me.

Nor can I get tech support since MVT isn't installed!!!

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to get AT&T/Yahoo McAfee to Install?

Zonealarm competes with McAfee and could render your machine vulnerable as a result so uninstall it.     AdAware also contains an anti-virus component which again would compete with McAfee and could allow infection in as a result, so uninstall it.

Also if you have Malwarebytes installed do the same with it temporarily as it will prevent the installation from happening.

Try your installation again and don't reinstall Zonealarm or AdAware.

There is a list on this page of ones that I recommend, Malwarebytes Free and SuperAntispyware amongst them.   See 'Free 3rd Party Tools".

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Try running Malwarebytes Free and Stinger from that page as it's just possible you have an infection.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/07/12 9:11:28 EDT AM
tyomni
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to get AT&T/Yahoo McAfee to Install?

Actually You don't even need more than one antiviruse. Having two of them  will always crash Your OS.

Message was edited by: tyomni on 7/8/12 7:35:39 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community