cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ober999
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

How to disable realtime scans

I am trying to play the online game World of Tanks and the real time scanner essencially disables my game by causing serious lag to scan my PC while scanning. I tried turning it off but it still reminds me frequently that I am at risk. When the pop-up that constantly reminds me of the risk shows itself it again disables my game completely until I click 'dismiss'. This causes me to lose the game when it happens. Its almost impossible to play with this problem. I realize my computer is a risk when its disabled but I need it to stop reminding me and let me do my thing. Any Suggestions?

Ober

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: How to disable realtime scans

Caution, disabling it will make your machine open to infection.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real-time scanning

Click Turn Off and then tell it for how long.

If it's objecting to something in your game or something you've downloaded to play the game, you can submit whatever it is for clearance.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

ober999
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

I don't object to the scans and this is the only application that conflicts with your virus scanner. By and large I am happy with the protection provided with your products and  yes it allows seamless access to the net for my game. I went through the process you describe and was able to disable it sucessfully last week-end however its the pop-up reminding me that I've disable real-time scans that completely locks my game controls until I click 'dismiss' thats causing the problem. Basicly I need the reminder to stop.

Ober

ober999
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

MaAfee.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

I don't think there's any way of stopping those but you should check with Technical Support about that.  They are free to phone or use the online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They may have some way of negating the need to disable it in the first place.

ober999
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Thank you, I will contact Support.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

That's what they just said they were doing.  Good luck ober999.  😉

steadychap
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

I am unbelieveably annoyed at Mcafee, I choose not to pay for their dumb subscriptions as they are rubbish compared to other companies but I cannot be bothered to uninstall it. However when I wanted to turn off realtime scans I cannot turn it off because a big sign saying pay for a subscription is in the way. Why is McAfee so stupid I hate it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

steadychap wrote:

I am unbelieveably annoyed at Mcafee, I choose not to pay for their dumb subscriptions as they are rubbish compared to other companies but I cannot be bothered to uninstall it. However when I wanted to turn off realtime scans I cannot turn it off because a big sign saying pay for a subscription is in the way. Why is McAfee so stupid I hate it.

With an attitude like that no wonder things are difficult.  You are annoyed about software that's bothering you but, in your own words, you can't be bothered to uninstall it.   There's your problem right there.  It is very easy to uninstall the software and you are going to have to if the subscription has run out.  Simply go to Control Panel > Programs and uninstall.

Then if you wish to make sure it's completely gone, run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot, simple as that.  It should take no more than 5 to 10 minutes of your valuable time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/14 3:36:54 EST PM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 12

Hi ober999

It seems that the pop-up is due to McAfee Security Scan Plus - a tiny Marketing tool to detect Virus Protection in a PC. Check and post back if you have it Installed. The Real time Scanning and this pop-up is not related to each other.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community