cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joylogy
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

How to add programs to the Trusted List?

If McAfee deletes a program and I want to restore and add it to the Trusted List, how can I do that??

I checked the McAfee User Guide 2009. But it says only how to manage the existing programs in the Trusted List. But when I select Trusted Programs in the dropdown, its empty. So could you provide me with the steps to add a new program to this list?

Following is what I got from the guide:
Manage trusted lists
Use the Trusted Lists pane to trust or block items that have been
previously detected and trusted. You can also remove an item
from a trusted list so that VirusScan detects it again.
1 Open the Trusted Lists pane.
1. Under Common Tasks, click Home.
2. On the SecurityCenter Home pane, click Computer &
Files.
3. In the Computer & Files information area, click
Configure.
4. On the Computer & Files Configuration pane, ensure
that virus protection is enabled, and click Advanced.
5. Click Trusted Lists in the Virus Protection pane.
2 Select one of the following trusted list types:
�� Program SystemGuards
�� Windows SystemGuards
�� Browser SystemGuards
�� Trusted Programs
�� Trusted Buffer Overflows
3 Under I want to, do one of the following:
�� To allow the detected item to make changes to the
Windows registry or critical system files on your computer
without notifying you, click Trust.
�� To block the detected item from making changes to the
Windows registry or critical system files on your computer
without notifying you, click Block.
�� To remove the detected item from the trusted lists, click
Remove.
31 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 32

RE: How to add programs to the Trusted List?

The trusted list is more for Windows applications and what are commonly called PUP's (Possibly Unwanted Programmes) and you can't in fact ask VirusScan to ignore an object it finds as an infection.
We are hoping that feature will be re-introduced sometime very soon, but can't promise anything as it's only a rumour.

You can, however, submit the file to Avert and hopefully they will send you an extra.dat to cover the detection.

In order to do that you would probably first have to disable VirusScan, then submit the file.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Sec. Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (top left)
Disable VirusScan in the right hand module and tell it for how long.
Reinstate the files using the Restore tab on the left.

Then submit your files:

Send a file to Avert for analysis:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
or
Email file to: [EMAIL="virus_research@avertlabs.com"]virus_research@avertlabs.com
When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

How to Install an Extra.DAT
joylogy
Contributor
Message 3 of 32

Thanks for the steps. Currently the alternate steps are fine with me. I would try to send the file and get an extra dat .
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 32

You're welcome.
dmatth2
Former Member
Message 5 of 32

How do I add a program I know is ok, but vs doesnt think so?

My sons favorite online game made an update the other week and now one of the .DLL's is being flagged as a virus (trojan -a). As per your comment, I sent the file to webimmune, but they came back and confirmed that its is a virus (I don't think so - I suspect the vendors last update made it look like it could be). How do I add the program to the trusted list now as it looks as if I can't get a additional extra.dat file

thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 32

RE: How do I add a program I know is ok, but vs doesnt think so?

Follow the steps above. There is no way to add to a trusted list in the home edition.
joylogy
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

In my case its was ok, beacuse I disabled the virus scan for 15min, recovered the file which was flagged by mcafee as PUP, installed it and then reactivated the viruscan.

But in case of dmatth2, its unsafe to deactivate the viruscan engine and play online games. So here I really feel that McAfee products are very tightly coupled and cannot be configurable as per the user needs...

So I would hope that Mcafee prodcucts being really good and trusted, would also become more configurable and would also bring down their non-compatability list, in the future releases.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 32

It's the subject of many a complaint from us Moderators, believe me. The last I heard was that they were considering re-introducing that ability to the home products.
joylogy
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Thanks .That is what is required...we need to keep on telling the same thing untill its heard by the other end.

And not only Program adding to the trusted list...this is somewhat ok because if its really a virus the user should also not be allowed to add it...thats where the safety is... sometimes I saw that ppl allow the virus themselves and then complain... my system is gone...

But then in that case we should not display the trusted list as such that the user thinks that they can do some customization on that. Believe me I have spent more than an 1 hr to add a program to list before posting the query in this forum.I think a list of Do's and dont's should be added to the user guide.

But I would like to focus more on the Compatibilty side...you know once i searched in google "IE 8 compatibility" and to my surprise 90% of the links spoke abt McAfee not compatible...I could see a list of products with witch Mcafee is Incompatability. And that is growing day by day. A really good product should not have so much of restrictions...i feel.

Anyways I still feel McAfee can outshine among others with a little bit of tweaking..so please try to forward these concerns to the appropriate person.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 32

When IE8 is final, McAfee will be ready. Not much point in being compatible now only to get it broken the next beta version, which is what happened with beta 2.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community