Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
styleminister
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

How to REALLY turn off security center?

Jump to solution

Hi!

I got a new PC a few months ago. McAfee wasn't my first choice for security software since then, but it was pre-installed and why re-installing a running system? so it worked fine till i got a Google redirect virus while using McAfee Security Center! I doesn't even find something on a scan.

So i tried several tools to clean my system and one of the last ones i'm trying to use before re-installing my whole system requires to turn off all my other security software. I know normally it's not rquired doing this, but if McAfee isn' even able to find the virus, i do have to use other tools.

So i tried to turn off Security Center by doing the following:

- turning off all elements for a period of 45 minutes -> ok, it shows "turned off" but on taskmanager mcshield.exe and 3 other processes were still running

- tried to turn off these processes through taskmanager -> without success, iis not possible doing this

- tried to disable McAfee starting at windows start -> not possible, processes still running

if i try to run the other cleaning tool, it warns me doing that while running McAfee, because it could cause seriously damage on my system!

running in safe-mode is not recommended for the other tool!

So, am i really not able to turn off a 'security' software, which was not able to protect me from malware? The last way would be to uninstall it completely...i'm really not happy about this software so far!!!

thx in advance

frank

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
styleminister
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Re: How to REALLY turn off security center?

Jump to solution

Hey guys! Thx for your help, but i solved my problem in the meanwhile...i run windows in security-mode (even there it wasn't really off!) and rum the other tool (combofix) there! Now my PC works fine again and everythings is OK! 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Maybe you would be better asking about cleaning the malware in the https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/malware_discussion/consumer forum.

What have you tried to do so far?

Do you have a name for the malware usually following the following set of tools cleans most things

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Stinger fake alert and getsusp a good idea to run. then follow with Malwarebytes and superantispyware. Those should help.

What is the tool that you want to run?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Frank,

There is no such thing as the perfect protection software.  No brand gives a 100% guarantee unfortunately.  It's up to you to keep Windows totally up to date in all aspects whether or not you use all the various parts of it, surf wisely, be careful what you download and file-share and keep a few anti-malware tools handy and updated just in case.

Tony has posted the link to those.

You can turn off real-time protection and firewall temporarily but not the entire SecurityCenter.  The first should be all that's needed if software asks you to do that.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/10/11 7:17:24 EDT AM
styleminister
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hey guys! Thx for your help, but i solved my problem in the meanwhile...i run windows in security-mode (even there it wasn't really off!) and rum the other tool (combofix) there! Now my PC works fine again and everythings is OK! 🙂

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Glad it's OK now.  😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community