Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polly
Contributor III
Message 1 of 15

How long will McAfee Anti-Virus Plus take to download and install

Jump to solution

Hi

I wish to uninstall MultiDevice from Dell Trial on my Windows 8.1 (it is due to expire).  I wish to purchase AntiVirus Plus directly from McAfee UK online, instead. 

I only have one device and I like Antivirus Plus from past use.

What will the time gap be between uninstall of MultiDevice and Purchase/Download and Install of AV Plus, please?

I am concerned about getting a virus between the 2 procedures.

1.   Therefore, should I turn on Windows Defender after uninstall of MultiDevice to cover laptop until AV Plus installs? Or, will WD turn on automatically after uninstall?

2.   Then, will Windows Defender turn off automatically after install of AV Plus?

3.  Or, do I have to turn WD  on and off myself manually?  Sorry, I'm a bit on the elderly side and not IT savvy - I suspect that it will all work out automatically.  

4.  After purchase of AntiVirus Plus direct  from McAfee online, do I  download it  from this page, or do I have to download it from MY Account, please? 

Thank you.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

Re: How long will McAfee Anti-Virus Plus take to download and install

Jump to solution

When you uninstall your ( about to expire ) software you have now. Before installing your software you are about to purchase. Please follow these Guidelines/Instructions.;How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

All the Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Jump to solution

The time it takes will depend on how fast you web connection is and how fast your processor is at doing its work.

In my experience about 1 minute to  download the installer and another 5 -10 minutes installing.

The User Interface will give you an estimate.

On Windows 8/8.1 and above Windows Defender contains an anti-virus component and the McAfee installer will automatically turn it off and disable it.  It must remain that way.

The installer also disables Windows Firewall as you will be using McAfee's, that is also normal and should stay that way.

You download the installer from My Account always.    These communities aren't connected with the commercial side of things.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

When you uninstall your ( about to expire ) software you have now. Before installing your software you are about to purchase. Please follow these Guidelines/Instructions.;How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

All the Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
polly
Contributor III
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

Thank you, Ex-Brit for your good answer but will WD turn itself on automatically in the time between  uninstalling MultiDevice and installing AntiVirus Plus?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

Yes, as will Windows Firewall.

polly
Contributor III
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

Thank you.  This gives me time to download and install AntiVirus Plus, at my leisure, without leaving laptop exposed to a security risk.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

Well, what I do to save time is first create a new temporary folder on my desktop and download the new installer file to that folder along with the MCPR cleanup tool as mentioned by Catdaddy above.

Then I can uninstall my old one via Control Panel, reboot, run the MCPR, reboot again and then reinstall.   It only takes a few minutes.

Then I delete that folder when done.

polly
Contributor III
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

Thank you - that would be a v. efficient way to do it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

Just don't plug in any new USB sticks, or surf the Internet, and it can take as long as it likes - just being connected to the Internet (through a router) doesn't expose you to much risk - it's surfing and downloading which is risky.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community