Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesblack100
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

How do I unblock Firefox web browser from McAfee Security Centre

Jump to solution

I have only been using Firefox and McAfee in conjunction for 18 months so I was surprised to see McAfee Sec Centre ask  if it should allow a Firefox .exe to access my laptop.

In my haste I selected no and now i can no longer access Firefox as a browseer, ansd when I open the centre for help the McAfee links no longer seem to work as I am assuming these are linked to Firefox. Reinstalling Firefox has not worked.

Does anyone have a solution and if so please feel free to spell out exactly ewhat I need to do as if i am a 6 year old ... no words are too simple.

So someone please help before I just uninstall McAfee and buy something that doesnt ask me to allow permissions to a piece of software I haave been using for years.

Many thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Re: How do I unblock Firefox web browser from McAfee Security Centre

Jump to solution

Just add it to your firewall permissions again.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Program Permissions or Internet Connections for Programs (depending on your version)

Add firefox.exe

It should be noted that the latest Firefox 5 disables SiteAdvisor, which is being worked on.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/06/11 8:13:53 EDT AM

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Maybe FF upgraded so new file different.

Open the security centre and choose web and email protection. Choose firewall and Internet connections for programs and see if Firefox is shown as blocked. If so remove it or edit access.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/06/11 6:57:54 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Just add it to your firewall permissions again.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Program Permissions or Internet Connections for Programs (depending on your version)

Add firefox.exe

It should be noted that the latest Firefox 5 disables SiteAdvisor, which is being worked on.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/06/11 8:13:53 EDT AM
jamesblack100
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you very very much for the explanation ... all working again.

Cheers

JB

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Good 😉

MarcSchram
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, but I dont have a McAfee Security Centre on my laptop where I can add a permitted browser. In liveSafe, there are links to Firefox under 'internet connections for Programs', but no browser selection.  I have a windows 8.1 version, september 2021. My default browser (and URL memories) is Firefox so this is a big problem. In the windows firewall there is the mention that McAfee manages this part of the firewal.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

You are posting in a very old thread. The same explanation that the former mod Ex_brit posted is relevant to the current Livesafe version though Firefox Internet connections details are installed automatically.

There are no browser options available in McAfee nor are they needed mine been running Firefox for years.

Have you thought of an uninstall and reinstall?

How to remove McAfee

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community