cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gz5
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

How do I temp turn McAfee off for downloading programs

I have tried to find out how to temp turn McAfee off for downloading programs, Any help??

5 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I temp turn McAfee off for downloading programs

Maybe it can be done, but why on earth would you want to do it? If your AV is disabled then you are wide open to infection not just from what you download but from a host of other online threats as well. If you insist, then I'll let one of the tech guys take over.

In the meantime, you might want to move this thread from out of the backwaters of Help into one of the other forums, where it will get noticed. From 'Actions' select 'Move Thread', then either type 'SecurityCenter' into the box or click on 'All Communities' and use the dropdown list to select either there or 'SecurityCenter 10'.

sgrimmel
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 6

Turning off part or all of McAfee AntiVirus security at any time will leave your computer (network) open to numerous threats. Even more so when connected to the internet.

What is it you are trying to achieve by doing so?

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

You shouldn't need to turn it off for anything except, perhaps, installing major things such as operating system service packs.  (XP SP3 or Vista SP2 for instance).

I know many software makers recommend it but it really shouldn't make a difference as usually you'll get a pop-up asking for permission anyway.

However, if you still need that information we need to know more - such as what operating system and service pack you are using and what version of McAfee...Home or Enterprise, 2009 or 2010?  (Square or shield-shaped taskbar icon).

This section of the board is really for questions about the board itself so once we have that information I'll more this to a more appropriate spot.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Welcome back, Ex-Brit. You've been sorely missed.

I was wondering whether this question might be connected with another thread, the one at

https://community.mcafee.com/message/158923#158923

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Thanks, it's good to be back....I think...;-)

I just posted the instructions in that thread so hopefully it will help this user, but I would still like to move this to a more appropriate spot, so info on what version is being used will be helpful.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community