cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fallguy
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

How Does Mcafee Verify Your CD Legit

I know you register your McAfee upon your install by how do they know it a legit copy an not one you just borrowed from a friend?

Does each CD have some sort of embedded serial number?

(long story being asked a new way, have second legit copy of total protection 2009 would like to install after first one runs out which I see as being possible to do as I would think each copy is legitimized by some sort of embedded serial number that can only be registered once which should make installing a second copy possible after first one runs out).

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: How Does Mcafee Verify Your CD Legit

You would have to ask Customer Service those questions as we only deal with the technical side here.  See the McAfee Support button at the top of the page.

fallguy
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the link! After much typing they indicate it will be possible. Sounds like each CD (2009 suite anyway) has a unique identifier built in although they did not exaclty say thi. Will have to uninstall first copy though when it expires.

All of this sounds like theory, surely somebody else has been down this road, if so please post.

P.S. Sounds like on 2010 product they may be going back to product key on sleeve of CD possibly?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

Having never used a CD install method I wouldn't know.   Hopefully someone else will spot this and post.

catman
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

I think it's done on your email address when you first activate it. They do not normally make each cd seperatly that would be to expensive and serial numbers can be hacked so registering a product using email will give an exact time like 1 year etc, so you may find that your new disk is no different to your old program.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community