cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marshmarsh16
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Hi there

Hello, i'm not quite sure where this thread is meant to go but i just want to enquire about the Security Center's file shredding capability. How effective is it, what algorithm does it use, and has anyone managed to recover files shredded by the shredder? Thanks in advance
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

RE: Hi there

From the Help button on my Shredder window:

McAfee Shredder

McAfee Shredder deletes (or shreds) items permanently from your computer's hard drive. Even when you manually delete files and folders, empty your Recycle Bin, or delete your Temporary Internet Files folder, you can still recover this information using computer forensic tools. As well, a deleted file can be recovered because some programs make temporary, hidden copies of open files. Shredder protects your privacy by safely and permanently deleting these unwanted files. It's important to remember that shredded files cannot be restored.

I would imagine the method it uses is a trade secret as we've never been told how it works.

Most similar applications replace the DATA with zero's in the one pass method then, I believe, blank that out in subsequent passes.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community