cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Despondence
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Hanging Scan and other slowness

Every time I try and do a full system scan using McAfee suite 9, it hangs. I've read other post where the suggested remedy is to let it run longer as certain larger files take longer than others. I've let this scan go for over 10 hours before and each time it hangs. Also, whenever McAfee tries to do anything, it eats up a whole lot of my processor and generally slows down my computer even though I have it set to do such things in the background.

I am running on Windows Vista Ultimate
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: Hanging Scan and other slowness

This happens when VirusScan can't unpack a file, often due to corruption in the file or perhaps that it is a zipped file containing other pre-zipped files. The only solution to that is to move the offending files to external or removable media.

It can also happen when there are disk read errors. Go to Start and type in the search box cmd, in the space above when cmd.exe appears right-click it and "Run as Administrator". Enter chkdsk /r (with the space) and click Enter. You'll get a rejection saying error, volume in use, try at reboot Y/N or words to that effect. Enter Y and click the Enter key. Exit the command prompt window and reboot. Let it run its course and see if that cures the problem.
Despondence
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

I tried locating the offending file however since the path is so long McAfee does not display the whole thing. I did notice that it is a .dll file which I was under the impression should never be tampered with. I tried running chkdsk however, there was no option for me to 'Run As Administrator' and would not allow me to run chkdsk.

Also, I tried downloading and running Stinger and it also hung and caused a system crash. Is it possible that I have a virus which is causing all this mayhem?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Try this then: Go to Start/All programs/Accessories/Command Prompt - right-click that and select "Run as Administrator".

Sounds to me like your system is corrupted somehow.

Try running the free versions of these two tools - update them first and then let them remove anything they find. reboot if asked to.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Despondence
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

The chkdsk ran for quite some time and fixed several problems. I saw that it fixed that one file that I saw McAfee hang on. I am currently running a scan with those two other free scanners before I run the McAfee scan again. I'll let you know how it turns out shortly.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Sounds hopeful. Good luck.:)
Despondence
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Well that did the trick. The check disk repaired the corrupt files and the two free spyware/malware programs found and eliminated a couple of bugs. McAfee went through a full scan with not problems what so ever. Thanks for your help!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Glad to help. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community