cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freakingoutbigt
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

HKU and websites

I have Windstream internet and they offer McAfee Security Center through their internet. I have the Security Center and I admit I'm curious about something. I feel this is gonna be a stupid question but it'd calm my nerves if I seek somebody out and ask it anyway.

Currently I have on the computer McAfee Security Center and Malware Bytes. Used to have Spybot Search and Destroy but I uninstalled it. I'd noticed on the McAfee virus scan a bunch of websites I'd never go to--not in a million years. I was suspicious about that and asked about it. Somebody told me that if I had Spybot they might've came from that program as sort of a prevention thing. Anyway, I uninstalled Spybot and I still notice these sites coming up. The beginning of all the sites start with HKU. The links mention adult sites, sometimes random stuff (like Britney Spears websites, Beyonce websites). I got to looking around Internet Explorer and saw the restricted sites option and clicked on it. I recognized a few of the sites that came up on the scan in that section.

So here's my question---Does McAfee scan the things that are added to the restricted sites? I've never put anything over there so it's automatically doing it. Or do I really have something to worry about over here? I'm getting a clean report from the Virus Scan and from Malware Bytes. No problem to mention. Just makes me nervous to see sites I never visit listed on a virus scan.

Thanks for any/all replies.
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
18 Replies
freakingoutbigt
Former Member
Message 2 of 19

RE: HKU and websites

I hope this isn't something nobody's aware about and can't help me with. If that's the case can somebody point me in the direction of another forum that can talk to me about it? Thanks. happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 19

Where exactly are you seeing this list of sites? I don't seem to have such a list in my Security Center.

Basically VirusScan will alert you to anything bad except in some case where it's "fake anti-malware" & suchlike, when Malwarebytes comes in handy.
freakingoutbigt
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

It seems like only a few show up at a time on the scan. Those always show up on the 96% mark.

As for the full list of sites. Let me pull it back up again. I really use Firefox for all my net browsing. I still have Internet Explorer on the computer though. So it was pretty much an accident I found all these sites on the restricted sites section. I was seriously grasping at straws as to where they were coming from when I saw them show up on the scan because I barely go anywhere on the net. I stick to a few reliable sites and stick with those few sites. Here's where I see the full list at:

1. I click on Internet Explorer.
2. Click on the Tools menu.
3. Click on Security tab
4. Click on Restricted Sites icon
5. Click on the Sites button and there's a pretty long list of sites I've never been to/never added to that section.

Last night I did a scan and I wrote down the following things I saw. Went to that restricted sites section and every single site I wrote down was already listed over there in the restricted sites section.

Do you think my computer is clean despite all the HKU confusion? I scan the computer pretty much every night and the McAfee scan doesn't show anything bad and the Malware scan doesn't show anything bad either.

Do you need for me to post any logs or anything like that?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

Those sites aren't places you've visited, they are places that IE is programmed to avoid.
freakingoutbigt
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

So it's totally normal for them to pop up in the McAfee scan? I know that's a dumb question but I want to make 100% sure I'm okay.

Thank you for the replies and for the help btw. I really do appreciate it. happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 19

I never run a scan unless something starts malfunctioning, so am running one now to see what I get as I don't recall seeing what you describe.

I'll post back.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 19

Well I would fall asleep waiting for it to finish. It got to about 25% and I stopped it. I don't see anything like you describe.
freakingoutbigt
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

I don't have that many files on the computer so it takes anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour for the McAfee scan to finish. It'd always show up on the 96% mark...the sites I mentioned. I never noticed them coming up before that mark.

Anyway, thank you again for the replies. 🙂

Edit:
so I'm just gonna ignore the fact those sites show up because I would think if they were a problem...I'd be experiencing some sort of issue. Either I'd go to yahoo and get redirected to one of these sites or the computer would freeze. Something would be happening. Nothing is happening so I'm just gonna settle down and stop worrying about it.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 19

Exactly. I would imagine that the scan is telling you that it looked for those particular items.

I'll see if I can run a quick scan tomorrow...too tired right now. I'll see what happens then.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community