cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
owlfre22
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

HELP: Trouble installing McAfee because of VISTA Javascript error

Hi, I've read the previous postings on this problem. I wanted to post on the same thread but it was closed.

Problem: Been having trouble with installing McAfee, error says "Cannot install McAfee due to Javascript not working properly on PC"

I use VISTA home version.

I've tried the CMD solution, and typing "regsvr32 jscript.dll" and "regsvr32 vbscript.dll" several times, but it DOESN'T work for me.

I receive error # 0x8004005

I began having this problem after my last year's McAfee subscription expired and I tried to install the new subscription. Ever since then I've had trouble with McAfee (getting blank 'security center' pages. I don't know if has anything to due with the concurrent Windows updates that keep installing on my computer.

I've tried doing a restore, but it seems like it has just made it worse.

Please please help!
Thanks!!
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: HELP: Trouble installing McAfee because of VISTA Javascript error

Restore wont help and will mess up McAfee which would mean at least having to update or at worst reinstall.

When you tried the commands did you it exactly like the following?

1. Start>All Programs>Accessories>right click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as Administrator"

2. type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter

3. type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press Enter

4. close Command Prompt

Reboot and see if it is still happening.
rockdog
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: HELP: Trouble installing McAfee because of VISTA Javascript error

AMAZING ... three years on I am getting the same problems - same blank scree, MVT not working (black screen) - Javascript error number .... What have McAfee been doing.

I have spent the best part of the day trying to figure this out - I can neither uninstall, re-install or MVT the problem - What a nightmare... The product might be only €50 ish but I have lost €200 in lost work today!  Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

The problem lies in something other than the software and, over the years with people reporting it off and on, we have found that the best solution is to contact Technical Support which is now free by phone as well as online chat, which wasn't the case back when this thread was active.  They can troubleshoot it directly.

Check with them via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

rockdog
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your reply... I will try the phone support tomorrow. Fingers crossed !!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

OK good luck.  As this thread is so old if you have a further question please start a new thread.  I'm locking this one because of the thread's age and the fact that the original poster is no longer active.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community