Re: Full scan?

Ok thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 16

Hi,

There are several reasons being offered by the developers as to why the scan appears to be doing less and apart from the applications whitelisting files it has already scanned unless they are subsequently altered, these have been mentioned:

1.  Whitelisting already mentioned.

2.  The newest version also has exclusions, so advise users to check if they have any listed.

3.  The scanner now only goes to the 3rd layer in zip files, whereas previously it would go all the way down.  (Normally wouldn't matter unless people are in the habit of zipping and re-zipping already-zipped files).

4.  The scanner is now multi-threaded and hence reports differently.

That all said the matter is being doubly checked to ensure that nothing is being missed.

newjack
Former Member
Message 13 of 16

Ok, Thanks Peter.I certainly did not have a problem with the scan being 25 to 30 minutes or so.Just as long as the software is doing what is supposed to.I know there were others complaining about scan times.I just hope this does not effect the overall performance of McAfee.Since McAfee is now scanning about 1/4 of what it used to.Is the word that if something is modified it would be scanned again?I am not really sure how scanning fewer items is more secure and accurate.Although I am not familiar with the new system.Thanks again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 16

It wont scan a file a second time unless it's been modified, so very quickly the scan size will dwindle.  As far as zip files go the chances of it missing something there is negligible and it would catch it in any case when the file was unpacked in the normal way.

georgieb
Former Member
Message 15 of 16

So Peter...On that basis, I would expect to see # of files scanned, as well as run time, reduced from one week to the next, correct ? Just the opposite has occurred in my case. (Unfortunately, I only have 2 weeks data to compare at the moment as I had to uninstall/reinstall McAfee after it updated to 2011 due to other problems it caused, so will keep monitoring). Tx for explanations thus far..GB

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 16

Maybe I was too sweeping in that statement.  I think they refer to system files in that context.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community