cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwikylemons
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Firewall won't stay on.

I've been trying to turn my firewall on, and it will not cooperate. I've done many hours of research, and I get the same answer- malware. But I've run many scans from several different programs, and they detect nothing. I'm stumped. I've been using this product for many years, and really would like to continue.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Firewall won't stay on.

go to start run and type services.msc is windows firewall on automatic if not set it so.

Try resetting the firewall to defaults

Some other scanners if you did not use them

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Also sometimes am uninstall reinstall works better.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account

If all no good call tech support link in useful links tab above.

okieeric
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Hello, I expreienced the exact same issue and have spent the last two hours dealing with it.

Finally got through to a mcafee CSR who dealt exclusively with Dell customers.

First we tried a complete uninstal/reinstall of SecurityCenter, which did not fix the problem.

Then he did a remote takeover of my system and ran some kind of registry editing utility which required a reboot (he said this had been developed by McAfee specifically for this problem) and the problem was fixed.

I'm not sure what the utility was called or if it is available to non-Mcafee employees, but I would recommend calling customer support.

He also said the problem was actually with Windows Firewall, not SecurityCenter.

Hope this helps!

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Well running with windows firewall service off or stopped will cause this. It should be on auto so Mcafee firewall can control it.

Maybe what he did.

You got a job number for this issue/call?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community