cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 31 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Yes - and to confirm my PC, I only see 64008 items in the Event Log. See my pics on previous page.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 32 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Everybody with system driver problems : anyone who is running Windows 7 please check to see what chipset is in your PC. Anyone with an Intel chipset tell me what it is, because some earlier ones won't have Intel drivers available.

This may be a red herring but I've spent the whole weekend going through the Intel site and came across a note of this in several places. It needs to be eliminated as a potential underlying cause.

ScottA
Contributor
Message 33 of 263

Jump to solution

Thank-you for posting this.   On Wed June 29th  I got the "WIndows File Protection" pop up window. Until I found this post I thought I had the VX2 virus. 

I have two desktop computers, both run McAfee. Both have the latest update,  but only one has this problem.  One  runs XP PRO sp3 and the other runs XP Media Center.   Only the XP PRO computer has the WFP window pop up

The XP Media Center computer  does not have the WFP window pop up, but perhaps worse it has  become sluggish even though its an overclocked Quad 4 Athlon.   Task manager reveals  winlogon.exe is taking up to 25% of the CPU and over 200,000k of memory.  I have never noticed this before and it has just happened in the last couple days about the same time the WFP window popped up on my other computer.   Perhaps not McAfee related, but now I am suspicious.

Message was edited by: ScottA on 7/1/11 7:40:18 AM CDT
blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 34 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi ScottA

I suggest you have a look in your event log, back to around 4th June, to see if WFP was successful in replacing any Windows system files.

Those replace events don't have the yellow warning icon. If you find any, have a look at the version number of the old and new files - it's in the event itself. If the versions don't match, that indicates that WFP replaced a good system file with an old one from your DLLCache due to this McAfee issue. Again, WFP is the symptom - McAfee is the cause.

This is the very scenario that I think McAfee should be worried about.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 35 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi,

Just to add one more name to the list...

I just got round to looking in my event viewer and see that I'm getting WFP 64008 warnings on shutdowns.  In line with other reports here, sometimes there are no warnings, sometimes one or two and sometimes a longer list of them.  No pop-ups or video problems though.  No other obvious symptoms.  I did notice a couple of slightly slow log-ons a few days ago but they went away and haven't returned.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 and McAfee Total Protection under subscription.

Regards,

e.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 36 of 263

Jump to solution

I am another McAfee customer affected by this problem. My OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition (Professional?) with SP3. I only got round to installing the latest build McAfee Internet Security a couple of days ago, and within half an hour of doing so, I got the Windows File Protection pop-up informing me of missing dllcache system files. I've disabled real-time scanning and updates in McAfee to stop any further damage been caused. Fortunately, my video card drivers seem to be unaffected as yet. The two problems I have now are 1. how to replace the dozen or so missing files from the dllcache, which were deleted by McAfee Internet Security, and 2. what to do regarding this malfunctional McAfee software, which at the current time is only serving me with a firewall.

I had previously used McAfee Security Center for 3 years without problems. The current problem has manifested as a result of installing the latest build of McAfee Internet Security (Version: 11.0, Build: 11.0.572) (released in early June?).

I've read through this whole thread; now nearly 2 months old, and I support blarty-fargo's points that 1. this problem is been caused by McAfee software, and 2. McAfee's (non-)response has been unacceptable. I repeat calls for an acknowledgement and response from McAfee, otherwise I will have to uninstall McAfee Internet Security and boycott McAfee software in future.

I don't know how to replace the missing files. My original OS disk is not being accepted as the right disk for replacing the files, perhaps because it is SP2, and I later updated to SP3 via a download. Has anyone found a solution to this?

snaffle
Contributor
Message 37 of 263

Jump to solution

Enmerkar,

Just sharing to you that I had to use my original Win XP Professional install CD to get the dllcache restored, although I don't believe all files were restored, but at least the process completed successfully.

I too tried sticking in my SP2 CD and windows did not accept that CD.  SP3 was a downloaded update and there was no way I saw to tell the SFC process to access those cab files as part of the restoration.

I am not an expert at using the System File Checker (sfc) process but as I explained above, by running SFC /Scanonce it immediately replaced my current ATI Graphic drivers with older "legacy" drivers stored in the windows dllcache, just like when I had Mcafee real time scanning turned on. That of course made my graphics card fail and go to simple VGA mode till I re-installed my current ATI drivers.

I have yet to be able to get full functionality of my graphics card since that aforementioned update of Mcafee apparantly caused the whole Windows File Protection (WFP) replacement of files problem. There are probably still other key driver or chipset files that are missing or were replaced to older versions not compatable with my current graphics card. Guess we all hope Mcafee will offer a solution to this ongoing issue soon. Yet, even with a solution or fix to what it seems to be doing wrong now, makes you wonder if it may take a total re-install of our Operating Systems to completely restore our computers from the damage already done by all the WFP file replacements. What a mess.

-Snaffle

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 38 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi enmerkar

If I were in your position, I would do this...

1) Disable McAfee real time scanning

2) Download XP SP3 from MS

3) Uninstall SP3 from your PC (from "Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs" - to roll you back to SP2

4) Use "sfc /purgecache" then "sfc /scannow" to repopulate your DLLCache folder and get you back to a stable PC (you may be prompted for the CD - but you have that)

5) Re-install SP3 - during that process it will update the DLLCache for you with new system files

6) Do a Windows Update to get the very latest updates to SP3

and finally...

7) Keep checking here to see how little McAfee feedback there is until (a) Your subscription runs out or (b) You decide to install another free or paid for security suite that does not destory your PC

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 39 of 263

Jump to solution

Snaffle,

How did you manage to use your original XP CD to restore the dllcache when Windows wouldn't accept it?

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 40 of 263

Jump to solution

blarty-fargo,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I only have about a dozen missing .dll files (which fortunately don't seem to be critical), and it'd take hours to go through that whole process and may potentially create unforeseen problems.

I wonder whether I could fix this by asking someone to upload the files, so I could just copy them into the folder.

These are the missing files according to SFC:

c:\program files\windows media player\mplayer2.exe

c:\program files\windows media player\npdrmv2.dll

c:\program files\windows media player\wmpns.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehcircl.dll

c:\windows\ehome\zh-chs\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\fr\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\de\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ja\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ko\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehiepg.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehituner.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

c:\windows\ehome\snchk.exe

Would anyone be kind enough to copy and paste these into a folder and upload it for me? I'd appreciate it.

I will be boycotting McAfee software from now on.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community