cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriss
Former Member
Message 131 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Me too! I've now got all the major problems - WFP errors, sporadic CPU takeover by mcshield.exe and winlogon.exe which will eventually burn the processor out, unless the fan gives up first, and most scarily disappearing XP restore points.

I've got to get out while there is still something left to run an alternative security package on!!!!!

I'm new to this forum, having only just discovered it. What really annoys me is that I reported this to tech support when it first arose following an upgrade to Build 11.0.578 about a week ago. Long and detailed suggestions about potential software conflicts, uninstall and re-install procedures followed, but NEVER a mention that this was a known issue which the best brains at McAfee were attempting to resolve.

Which makes me think that they are not?

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 132 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Mate - welcome to the big black hole that is the McAfee technical feedback forum.

Get ready for naff instructions to uninstall/reinstall/submit log files ad nauseam.

Anyone remotely tech savvy will 'Google' their McAfee problem and quickly find these threads.

And a quick read will reveal that honest working folks, that have paid for a McAfee product, simply cannot get a fix to a problem that is causing them concern.

Rival feedback forums, for example Kaspersky, take customer feedback very seriously and problem resolutions take far less time - certainly less than 3 months for a problem that renders your PC useless.

Well, I for one intend to be a Royal pain in the arse until someone, anyone, at McAfee actually makes an honest reply to this (and other) threads.

You see, the way that McAfee makes money is by folks updating the pre-installed "90 day free trial" software that came with their new PC or laptop.

Some of those folks are not tech savvy and think "Hmmm, Dell (or whoever) installed the trial version of McAfee - it must be the best out there - I will buy an new 3 year subscription".

Big mistake.

gbw
Former Member
Message 133 of 263

Jump to solution

Now it's.......... Cabaret Time!

Try this!  (well, I wouldn't if I were you)

Copy a few avi files onto a cd or dvd.

Scan it with Mcafee. Remember, don't hold your breath!

Still scanning 20 minutes later? Still the same file? Never mind, try "cancel"

STILL scanning? Try a few panic measures. Phew, it's stopped.

Nothing else working? Try rebooting. Your pc wont reboot? Neither does mine. Or many others. Power down then... dont you love doing that!

Been like that since June as well. No progress from Mcafee, and yet that operation I would do several times a week as I provide training dvds as part of my AutoCad courseware.

This issue is another strand in several forums. I've replaced Mcafee on one pc, opting for Kaspersky which does the avi scan perfectly.  Seriously thinking about throwing away my other two licences in favour of Kaspersky.

Peacekeeper
Message 134 of 263

Jump to solution

I reported the Cd/dvd scanning seeming (well actually) to lock up issue and carried out a heap of tests on it a few weeks ago. All info passed onto Mcafee will get an update on both. In my case I left a game dvd in the drive and had teh drive marked to be scanned as well as data and c: drive. In all cases it jammed up.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 135 of 263

Jump to solution

Just to say that I'm joining the list of rats leaving the sinking ship.

gbw wrote:

I've replaced Mcafee on one pc, opting for Kaspersky which does the avi scan perfectly.  Seriously thinking about throwing away my other two licences in favour of Kaspersky.

I remain a McAfee customer for a few more weeks but I turned off my auto renewal a few days ago and plan to move elsewhere.

Having looked at the latest reviews of security suites and seen how McAfee seems to be sliding down the ratings, maybe the problems experienced (mainly - but not only - the avi scanning one in my case) will turn out a good thing in the end as they have prompted me to move on to something better.  A bit of short term pain for a long term gain.  At least that's how I'm looking at it.

I know some of you guys have suffered (and are still suffering) a lot more than I at the hands of McAfee recently and I can only sympathise and hope that you get your problems sorted in the end.  From what I've seen recently, I've a feeling that it may not be McAfee who provide the solutions.

If I don't get round to posting anything more on these forums then thanks to the moderators who do a great job in often difficult circumstances and 'bye to all.  Perhap we'll all meet in another forum one day.

e

chriss
Former Member
Message 136 of 263

Jump to solution

I wish I had jumped ship earlier! After taking a few hours off yesterday, I checked back just before retiring, and with no applications running had the CPU fan screaming away, with mcshield and winlogon hogging the processor. i had read somewhere on these forums that switching off Real Time Scanning was a way out of this, so I did.

BIG MISTAKE!

On disabling Real Time Scanning I got the good old WFP messages up again, and then a forced shutdown of Internet Explorer following a Microsoft security message. Still, the CPU dropped back to 0% and it all went quiet, so I went to bed. Forgetting that there was a scheduled scan due at 0400hrs.

This morning the scan still running 4 hours later. I paused it, then stopped it. Then, rashly re-booted. A DISASTER!

Following reboot I had no network adapter, not only had the restore points all disappeared but XP's Help and Support had stopped working altogether! Explorer was locked up calling for an Administrator to do something, inetcpl.cpl wouldn't run and at that stage i was flying blind. I've just spent a happy 4 hours deleting all reference to McAfee from the machine, reinstalling the network drivers, repairing the registry, upgrading to Explorer 8 in order to get rid of the locked up Explorer 7 and I've finally got back to normality.

And I promise I had not made any other changes - this all started with the McAfee Security Center upgrade.

If there is a moral in all this, it is that I should have followed Blarty-Fargo's lead and got out while the going was good. Sod the unexpired subscription, but what I've got to work out now is how to stop McAfee automatically renewing the subscription next year!

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 137 of 263

Jump to solution

That's easy chriss

Login to your McAfee account here:     https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx

On the right, select "My Auto Renewal Setting"

In the table, bottom right, turn off auto renewal so that the big M gets no more of your wonga.

newjack
Former Member
Message 138 of 263

Jump to solution

I am not sure any one even minds about all the people leaving.People have kicked and screamed for months on end about all the problems.Part of the problem is there sweet deals with Dell and other computer companies.But I have seen many people leaving over the last year.So In my opinion.Which by the way means nothin.Somebody has to right the ship.The other thing is past reputation.As they say "What have you done for me lately." Not sure myself.But don`t think I would do another year either.The thought of going through a 2012 release has instantly given me a headache

chriss
Former Member
Message 139 of 263

Jump to solution

Thanks b-f; that's probably one of the easiest things I've had to do with McAfee for the last 10 days!

gvr39
Former Member
Message 140 of 263

Jump to solution

We are currently at 19,410 Views.

Almost at the 20,000

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community