cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 191 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

That's good.  I actually still have XP SP3 hanging around in the form of 2 virtual machines, just for old times' sake.   After all it isn't obsolete quite yet...until 2014 actually.

Should you want to try installing SP3 with McAfee inactive or uninstalled it might work should you be considering donating the machine.   If not then disregard.

Anyway, good luck.

on 18/09/11 8:49:35 EDT PM
rabbit2
Contributor
Message 192 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

The SP2/SP3 debate is something of a red herring in the context of this problem. McAfee home products system requirements for XP is SP2 (or higher). Whether it's wise to stick with SP2 or not is a different matter. Some people stay with SP2 because it works for them and a lack of support is therefore not an issue. If issues do arise, then they can move to SP3. Either way, McAfee should work.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 193 of 263

Jump to solution

McAfee may not support SP2 only installation very much longer.   They usually follow Microsoft's support cycles with a year or so delay.    

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 194 of 263

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

McAfee may not support SP2 only installation very much longer.   They usually follow Microsoft's support cycles with a year or so delay.    

Irrelevant to this thread. People are here to discuss a problem with McAfee software, or rather report a problem with McAfee software.

rasher
Contributor
Message 195 of 263

Jump to solution

If I wanted to catch a slippery fish I'd have joined the catchaslipperyfish forum.

I was offering my experience of what current  evidence points to being a neglectful McAfee update. You're responses Ex_Brit have only acknowledged the fact I am running a set up which you believe might benefit from an upgrade to SP3.

Like I said I have workarounds.Today I noticed another update which required a restart. On restart everything was OK. Maybe this release has fixed it. I'll just have to wait and see.

If McAfee no longer has a suitable product for my computer then I'd appreciate a straight answer so that I can take appropriate action after looking into the matter more deeply.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 196 of 263

Jump to solution

At this point it's obvious that McAfee are not going to fix this software, let alone the damage it's caused.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 197 of 263

Jump to solution

My remarks re: SP2 were merely a side issue.  The main topic of this thread is being attended to by McAfee, we've made sure of that.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 198 of 263

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

The main topic of this thread is being attended to by McAfee, we've made sure of that.

How long does it normally take McAfee to fix problems such as this? assuming it fixes them.

Message was edited by: enmerkar on 9/18/11 8:37:33 PM CDT
astor
Contributor II
Message 199 of 263

Jump to solution

I just went to the McAfee home site and checked the system requirements.  It says:

Supported Operating Systems

• Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
  • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
  • Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

So, yes the SP2 "issue" is indeed a red hearing, and should not be used as an excuse for customers reporting issues.  Having said that, it would be wise for other reasons to either upgrade to SP3, or get a W7 PC.  However, this does not let McAfee off the hook, unless they change the system requirements as reported on their own website.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 200 of 263

Jump to solution

astor wrote:

However, this does not let McAfee off the hook, unless they change the system requirements as reported on their own website.

That wouldn't let them off the hook either.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community