cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 181 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Yes, go for it.

supergeek
Former Member
Message 182 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Um, boomboomer, I'd be careful. You could be getting scammed by someone who just wants to connect to your computer. I wonder if there's a way to verify that this person is a real technician and is trustworthy?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 183 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi boomboomer,

That mail was from me  . Yes, if you still experience the same issue, please have the mail replied so as we could help you get this resolved .

Regards,

supergeek
Former Member
Message 184 of 263

Jump to solution

Oh good. Disregard my post then. lol

boomboomer
Former Member
Message 185 of 263

Jump to solution

Thanks Dinesh!

I did reply to the e-mail.

rasher
Contributor
Message 186 of 263

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and I'm on XP SP2, it started after a McAfee update requiring a restart a few days ago. On boot up Windows Protection appears. If I restart everything seems to be OK until McAfee does something, I haven't been able to identify if its when it checks for updates or its actually updating. Anyway a restart once again resolves the issue. Interestingly a shut down and start doesn't have the same affect as a restart which led me to be believe I'm mad because I thought the two were the same! But thats what happens on my system and it appears repeatable. I run a Vista machine too and thats OK. I haven't been that bothered as someone else is main user and it seems OK and stays OK after restarts but I'd have expected a fix by now.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 187 of 263

Jump to solution

rasher wrote:

I have the same issue and I'm on XP SP2, it started after a McAfee update requiring a restart a few days ago. On boot up Windows Protection appears. If I restart everything seems to be OK until McAfee does something, I haven't been able to identify if its when it checks for updates or its actually updating. Anyway a restart once again resolves the issue. Interestingly a shut down and start doesn't have the same affect as a restart which led me to be believe I'm mad because I thought the two were the same! But thats what happens on my system and it appears repeatable. I run a Vista machine too and thats OK. I haven't been that bothered as someone else is main user and it seems OK and stays OK after restarts but I'd have expected a fix by now.

SP2 isn't supported by Microsoft since July 13, 2010 which means you are mssing all kinds of security updates (see HERE) so it might improve matters to install it and any subsequent updates including those for Internet Explorer which McAfee and many other applications rely on regardless of your default browser settings,.  It involves temporarily disabling VirusScan, and help is posted here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 188 of 263

Jump to solution

You are correct that updating to SP3 is a good thing, but this problem has been seen on both XP SP2 and SP3.

Your first post on page one of this thread, way back on 4th June, alerted the OP to that fact.

Is there now some info that updating to SP3 will improve matters?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 189 of 263

Jump to solution

I have no idea, but it can only help considering SP2 is out of support.  There's not much point offering support to people whose systems are out of date to start with.

astor
Contributor II
Message 190 of 263

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

I have no idea, but it can only help considering SP2 is out of support.  There's not much point offering support to people whose systems are out of date to start with.

I agree, and I'm not really asking for support.  I'm just highlighting my experiences.  Soon I will dump my old PC and the problem will be fixed permanently

I wish I could go one step more and dump Windows completely and move to a Mac.  Unfortunately I can't as I use a couple of applications that are only supported on Windows

Message was edited by: astor on 18/09/11 4:38:35 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community